Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Topic: Teacher is Kang Ho-Soon

Photo taken by Ryan-Memory Giga

My second term flew! During my first term, I felt like the weeks dragged. It seemed like every week, my head instructors were pulling me aside because I was such a bad teacher. Bad teacher in the sense that I wasn't hitting all the components, my timing was off, and I wasn't connecting to the students. However, by the end of my first term, I was actually liking teaching and my head instructors were no longer lurking around the CDI corners trying to pin me down.
At the end of every term, instructors are evaluated on CCTV, student retention, student surveys, the faculty manager, and the branch manager. Furthermore, we get ranked amongst the entire Chungdahm company faculty. The bonus rankings range from S, A, B, C, D, F. If an instructor receives an S, he/she gets an extra 1 million won tacked onto the next paycheck. An A instructor gets 500,000 won. First term instructors are not eligible for bonuses, so I wasn't too disappointed when I found out that I was a B instructor. Understandibly, my term started out weak and ended strong proven by my stellar student surveys, therefore equating to an average score. Being a B means I was in the middle of my branch of nearly 40 instructors. With a term over and done with, I ended up getting a favorable class schedule for my 2nd term being almost all upper level reading and listening classes and 2 memory class.
My second term was fantastic. Although I had jumped from teaching Memory and Bridge reading to Eagle Reading/Listening, I took on the challenge. Upper level is a lot different than lower level because I had to conduct debates/discussions while remaining neutral. This is especially hard for myself because I am a very analytical yet opinionated person. Furthermore all of my classes were middle school students and the memory classes were all elementary. Therefore, I had to be super energetic from 4-7pm, then jump the energy spectrum to the humdrum middle school 7-10pm classes. It worked out because I think the middle school classes enjoyed my liveliness and activity that I brought from teaching memory classes about Robinson Crusoe. My memory classes were the best yet. I got so comfortable with the memory teaching style that I had incorporated cannibal dances in explaining vocabulary words, did a chair dance in order for my students to memorize the summary, and even threw a dance party at the end of term. I loved these classes and will probably never have any other classes top or match them.
At the end of the term, I believed I worked hard and would be getting a bonus. All of my co-worker friends were sure of it too. After all, I had the highest student surveys in both the Memory and Listening programs. Furthermore, I had become a Head Instructor for Winter Intensives and my FM and BM were happy with my performance not to mention all the subbing I did for them. In the end, I found that my paycheck was sans bonus. To put the icing on the cake, I received my "report card" labeled with an "S". The top score, yet unrewarded. This term was different for the FAS (Faculty Appraisal System) aka bonuses and grading. The ones that got a bonus were those who had the best student retention in the branch leaving many S and A instructors leaving unrecognized, unrewarded, and underappreciated. However, the new bonus system will give a 10% hourly raise to those who receive a S or an A for two consecutive terms. I guess I'm still in the running for some kind of reward in the future. Yay...


Eagle Reading Thursday Middle School
Henry Hides Since He is the Only Boy



Memory Giga Elementary Classes Mon/Fri & Tues/Thurs



Eagle Listening Elementary Wednesdays


Eagle Reading Middle School Boys Mon & Fri

The title refers to a lesson on Topic, Main Idea, Major Details, and Minor Details. Kang Ho-Soon is a Korean psychopath killer who recently mass murdered 7 women by strangling them in their cars. To demonstrate how a story is effectively told, the following is how Teacher is Kang Ho-Soon:
T: Teacher is Kang Ho-Soon
MI: She is a psychopath.
MD1: First, she killed many students.
md1: For example, she strangled 7 women.
MD2: Second, she is crazy.
md1: She likes to smoke, drink, gamble, and eat mad cow.

No comments:

How long have I been here?