Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Globalisation At Its Finest

South Korea's GDP (billions) Over Time
*courtesy of wikipedia.org

Korea has the 4th largest economy in Asia and 15th in the world. It is the 8th largest exporter because of its brands like Samsung, LG, and Hyundai-Kia. It is 1st in the education index in Asia and 7th in the world. It is now chair of the G-20 and will host it for the first time in November 2010. With Seoul being the 2nd largest city in the world and the 6th most powerful city in the world according to Forbes, no wonder the world is shifting its focus on South Korea.

As the idea of globalisation permeates the stratagem of business and political world leaders, I can't help notice the influence it has made in Korea. My life as a foreigner in Korea revolves around teaching and non-teaching, which leaves shopping, eating, and entertainment. Making my life as comfortable as it was back in the U.S., I'm happy to see what was familiar to me here in Seoul.


Kim Yu-Na
Winning Gold for Women's Figure Skating Winter Olympics Vancouver 2010

Sports is not only in American blood, but very much in Korea's. They won gold in baseball and swimming in Beijing 2008 and they continue to dominate the medals platform in speed skating and short track in the Winter Games. The biggest name in Korean sports comes from a 19 year-old girl who won gold in figure skating in Vancouver 2010; Kim Yu-Na. Everywhere in Korea she is the face of coffee, Samsung Electronics, banks, and Hyundai motors. The girls love her, and he boys want her.

Costing 400,000 Won to Free from KT
I-Phone in Korea

Korea controls cell phone technology in the world. Since it has the highest broadband Internet access coupled with the best digital technologies in the world, the cell phone industry flourishes here. With brands like Samsung and LG to lead innovation and dominate 90% of the market, cell phones are now like right hands to the residents of Korea. Everywhere I look, cell phones are out. Subways, shopping areas, and even my classroom, people are obsessed with their cell phones. During the Winter Olympics, every person had their cell phones out watching Kim Yu-Na skate. Apple's IPhone has finally landed and more and more people are buying. I am going to stick to my 50,000 won pay as you go, but props Steve Jobs!

H&M Opening Weekend in Myeongdong

Koreans love to shop. This city thrives on the newest fashions and are obsessed with foreign brands. Zara, Forever 21, and the Gap have all made their mark here. On February 27th, mega brand H&M opened up their first store in Korea at Noon Square in Myeongdong, the hectic and high trafficked shopping center of Seoul. I went on the 2nd day it was open and it was unbelievably packed. I felt compelled to buy something just because everyone else was. They had the check-out counter roped all the way across the store and even hired 5 guards to usher people through the store. JCrew and Victoria's Secret is missing out!
Green Tea Popcorn at the CGV Movie Theater

I caught Disney/Tim Burton's highly anticipated Alice in Wonderland in 3D at the IMAX CGV in Yongsan on Saturday March 6th. It reminded me a lot of The Chronicles of Narnia. I didn't like the story. I wish the movie was based on the original story, not when Alice is 19. Kiddy story, great effects nonetheless. This movie was sold out for weeks. We had to sit in the front row. Not bad though. I rested my 3D glasses on my forehead. What was striking though was the green tea popcorn at the concession stand. I didn't try it and I'm not sure if I will. I enjoy green tea and popcorn, but popcorn has to be buttered, at least at the movies. Perhaps when I go see Clash of the Titans, I'll try it out.

Taco Bell Coming Soon in Itaewon
Courtesey of N. Ojehomon

This is the biggest news of all! Taco Bell is finally coming to Seoul! Randomly, the army bases in Itaewon and Yongsan have had Taco Bell for quite sometime now, but have been too greedy to share with the public. Itaewon is the foreigner district in the center of Seoul. Many foreign companies have introduced their products and have thrived. Quiznos, McDonalds, KFC, and Pizza Hut have made their mark. However, the Hardrock Cafe didn't quite last. My favorite place and thank god it's here is Costco. All I need now is Chick-Fil-A and Sonic Drive-Thru.

No comments:

How long have I been here?