Saturday, May 29, 2010

My Mom Would Be So Proud: Filipino Adobo


I have only tried to make this twice in my life.  Both times, I did not have bay leaves, and used basil.  Don't they sound like the same thing?

INGREDIENTS:
600 g of pork, cut into cubes

16 cloves of garlic

1 large or 2 medium onions, sliced

3 bay leaves

1 tsp. whole peppercorns

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup cider vinegar

1/2 cup water

4-5 Yukon gold potatoes, quartered

Layer all the ingredients except potatoes in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes of cooking, add the potatoes and cook for another 20 minutes or until sauce has reduced but not quite dried out yet.


Before I made this, I found a YouTube clip of how to step by step make adobo.  Unsure of myself still, I needed exact readable steps, so I followed this recipe I found online.  However, I bought some really lean pork so it was a little tough.  I couldn't get the sauce to thicken or dry out.  I ended up uncovering the lid for a while and added corn flour to thicken the sauce.  It was a little too vinegary, so I added sugar.  In the end, after a couple finger dips to taste and more soy sauce (you can never go wrong with more soy sauce), I came out with a decent pot of adobo.


This was my best attempt at my making adobo.  Since I was a child, my mother would make this at my request.  I remember each time, she would make it, I would ask her to put more garlic and more onions.  Eating this now made each spoon full with rice bring me back to those memories.  Although it's not even close to my mother's, I'm glad I was able to mimic it and share it with good company (ie. Dave & Mike Santos) while watching our new favorite show Man v. Food.  Check it out!


No comments:

How long have I been here?