Friday, June 11, 2010

World Cup Red Fever

Every four years, I look forward to FIFA’s World Cup.  It truly is the definition of a worldwide event.  If I could guess, I think more people care about it more than the Olympics or dare I say the U.S. presidential election.  Since 1998, when I began taking soccer seriously, I have whole-heartedly watched the beautiful game.  I remember seeing my favorite soccer commercial of all time where Brazil kicked around a soccer ball through an airport to the sound of samba.  I knew that from their dominant yet graceful play advancing with ease to the final against France, why they were called “The Samba Kings.”  From then on, I not only played soccer, but I was a fan.  I followed La Liga, Premiership, Bundesliga, Serie A and even MLS.  I watched my favorite players like Beckham to Ronaldo go from play to injury while the rising stars like Ronaldinho and Christiano Ronaldo took soccer stardom to new heights with their multi-million pound/euro signings and sponsorships.  Tiger Woods and Lance Armstrong weren’t in my realm of sports heroes like the rest of the U.S. was obsessing.  Mia Hamm was what I wanted to be.  I remember telling my mom that I no longer wanted to be a doctor, but a professional soccer player when I grew up.  Imagine the surprise and uncertainty on my mother’s face.  Regardless of this pipe dream, I developed my passion for the sport into my central universe.  I worked towards Varsity, club, and coaching soccer almost playing collegiate level.  I settled for captaining the intramural dynasty “Mabakyao” at Fordham University.

*This team name derives from Marco’s relentless pursuit to use it despite it being my grandfather’s birth name before adoption.

From that very first World Cup, I have avidly watched each one thereafter.  I spent Japan/Korea World Cup 2002 in the Philippines thankfully watching in the same time zone.  At 16, I spent a month reconnecting with relatives I hadn’t seen since I was 3.  I went to a local university everyday and played with both their mens and womens teams then coming home by 7pm to watch those Samba Kings.  For the Germany World Cup 2006, I had to leave my beloved NYC for the summer to earn and save extra money for my trip around the world with Semester at Sea.  I returned to my first job at Outback Steakhouse not as a hostess, but as a take-away server.  Thankfully, I had my friends Chris, Matt, and Paul to watch every game and then go out to the Kiwanis Park tennis courts to play short-sided soccer past midnight.  Now, I’m starting the South Africa World Cup 2010 in Korea.


Korea is really getting ready for the World Cup to begin on June 11th.  All over Seoul, I see advertisements exclaiming “Fighting Korea”, “Red Devils”, “Dynamic Korea” etc.  Random vendors are selling Korea fan jerseys on every corner.  The likes of Park Ji Sung, Lee Chung Yong and Park Chu Young have replaced Kim Yu Na’s image as the main celebrity spokesperson for various brands like Samsung, Tous le Jours Bakery, Hyundai Motors, and Hite Beer.  Don’t worry.  Korea hasn’t forgotten its ice princess.  She teamed up with Big Bang, arguably Korea's favorite boy band and created “The Shouting Dance” for Korea to do during the games.


I just hope with all of this excitement, Korea will increase its recognition of the sport of soccer as a leader in sports.  It makes me so sad to hear that women’s soccer virtually doesn’t exist here.  If I had more money, more connections, and the ability to speak Korean, I would create a Seoul youth soccer league much like the U.S.  Growing up, organized sports fueled my weekend.  I want these children to experience being part of a team and playing against other clubs from different areas.  But, as anything goes in Korea, it’s all about making Korean mother’s happy and all they care about is a die hard no non-sense pursuit to be the best academically.

This Saturday, I’m going down to City Hall to watch the game with the rest of Seoul.  I had the chance to go out with some girlfriends to an all you can eat and drink hors d’oeuvres and wine bar.  I’d rather go out with the masses and drink Cass on the streets while Korea defeats Greece for its World Cup opening match.


I am beginning the tournament in Korea, but I will be ending it in Australia.  I’m excited to see how the tournament unfolds.  Below are my picks from the Round of 16.  Based on the Champions League outcome, I’m guessing Germany will be victorious.  Despite the wins and losses, I hope nations like South Africa and Korea will see the importance of sports and the advancement of global unity through sports competition allowing repressed nations like North Korea showcase their abilities.

No comments:

How long have I been here?