Monday, July 5, 2010

I Won Da Money!


FIFA Fan Fest
Darling Harbour, Sydney

I'm so lucky that I arrived in Sydney to catch the rest of the World Cup group games.  Arriving on June 16th, I was just in time for the big group match between South Korea and Argentina.  Even more lucky, FIFA decided to place Sydney as one of six places in the world to hold their FIFA Fan Fest.  Chosen for its cultural diversity, beautiful harbour backdrop, and accessibility, Darling Harbour is the perfect spot to gather 30,000 people to enjoy every game at all hours since Sydney is eight hours ahead.  Although I have had to watch more games at midnight or at 4:30am, it was been such an experience to be in another country that is also participating in the games.

 

FIFA Fan Fest Decor
Giant Blow Up Soccer Ball & Big Screen

On our second night in Sydney, we trekked down from Balmain across the harbour to the FIFA Fan Fest for the 9:30pm South Korea match against Argentina.  I knew Sydney was a diverse city, but I had no idea that there were so many Koreans living here.  I felt like I was back in Seoul cheering with the Red Devils since I saw so many Korea flags waving and lit-up red horns in the streets.  I passed by flag vendors and yelled "대한민국!" (dae han min guk), which means Republic of Korea.  It is part of Korea's chant during sporting events.  They responded back with the same chant.  I was right at home.


한국 파이팅  (Han Guk Hwaiting!) or Korea Fighting!
The Red Devils Cheering on Korea against Argentina

Although South Korea lost, it was such a familial feeling to be surrounded by Koreans cheering on their team.  I wished I was wearing the red horns and the flag around my neck.  I at least wanted one of the 한국 파이팅 (Han Guk Hwaiting!) or Korea Fighting! t-shirts.  Although I'm not Korean in face, I'll always be Korean by stomach.  I'm so glad that I'll find plenty of Korean food here!

FYI: there is no "F" in the Korean language.  It is replaced by "Hwa".  So when referring to fried chicken in Konglish, it is really hwaried chicken.  On a side note, since Dave and I have been here, our friends back in Korea have been Facebook cheering for us typing, "Hwaiting Shave!"


My Winning Ticket
12-1 Odds for Netherlands Winning 2-1

With the coldest Winter Sydney's faced in 60 years, Dave and I have opted out of watching the games at Darling Harbour.  Now that we live so close to King's Cross, Sydney's party hot-spot, we have been watching the games at Dragon Lounge, a 5 minute walk from our apartment.  This place has huge screens and $5 pints of Tooheys, Australia's Budweiser.  We've been getting there an hour early to secure front row center seats.  But before the game starts, we'll go over to TAB or totalisator agency board.  It is a place that broadcasts horse races primarily, but takes wagers from the public on almost any sports event.  When you walk in there are touch screens displaying the sporting events.  In my case, I clicked World Cup and then Netherlands v. Brazil.  You can bet on a win, loss, or draw.  You can also bet on final scores within regulation time.  You can even bet who will be ahead at the half and who will win at the end of regulation.  Each of these instances are backed with odds and winning payouts.  It cost only $5 too.  Dave wagered that Netherlands would draw with Brazil and his odds were 3.5 to 1.  With his $5, he could have won 3.5 x 5 = $17.50.  I felt a little more assured in the Dutch so I wagered them winning 2-1 with a 12 to 1 odds.  With my $5, I ended up winning 12 x 5 = $60!

*The blog title is a movie quote from one of my favorite movies Vegas Vacation.  Chevy Chase and his family the Griswalds meet an old man who has been playing Keno everyday and is sad that he doesn't have a family like his to share his winnings.  He plays dead and drops the winning ticket, and Chevy Chase, who lost all of his family's savings, ponders whether to pick it up or not. 

 
Finding Out I Won (Night)
& Collecting My Winnings (Day)

So excited with winning (since I never win at anything ever), I took pictures after the game at 2am and pictures before collecting the $60.  That day, Dave and I ate out twice!  This is very big for us since we are unemployed and have to watch our food budget.  That day we ate at a restaurant for the first time since arriving in Sydney at a delicious Mexican food casual restaurant called Mad Mex.



FIFA Fan Fest During the Day
Darling Harbour, Sydney

 

FIFA Fan Fest
The Entrance & Mini-Soccer Game

With only four games left, I'm sad to see the World Cup go by so quickly.  As stated in previous posts, I love soccer and very much look forward to this event that only happens every four years.  The next World Cup will be in Rio de Janeiro 2014.  Fingers crossed for my myself and my blog to experience it first-hand there!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shady, I am so excited for you and Dave! Australia!! What an awesome experience you are in for. Thanks so much for sharing all the details of your move there. I wish you all the best of luck in your new life together there! Love you to pieces, and can't wait to hear how the job hunt goes!

Michelle said...

Hey, girl, I'm so happy you guys got outta here when you did. You seemes like you needed to explore more of the world. Congratulations!

How long have I been here?