Saturday, March 5, 2011

Border Security - the worst of Australian TV

Every evening at about 630pm I walk into my apartment and turn on the TV. Perhaps it’s because I work all day and never get to brain fart against the tube. Anyhow, I turn on the TV so I can catch up on the news of the day. During this time slot, shows like A Current Affair and Today Tonight berate 'newsworthy' topics like the price war between grocery giants Woolworths and Coles, how to find the best concealer or how 1 sausage is like eating 3 chocolate bars - exploring facts Australian's need to know. Riveting stuff. I usually have it on as background noise while I make dinner. I listen for anything newsworthy and really upcoming programming that I would consider watching. This week, I heard a preview for this week’s episode of Border Security. With my back turned, I heard this Mr. Moviefone-like voice alert the audience/nation on this week’s episode.

“An American has arrived in Sydney with luggage full of camera equipment, but he’s not here to take pictures.” 


As I heard this intro, I turned around and on the screen was an American man being detained at the security checkpoint at the airport with his head in his hands being interrogated by airport security. At that moment, my ears fumed at what I was hearing. I couldn’t believe that Australia allowed programming like this to air nationally. It was like the program was aimed at targeting outsiders to Australia as criminals, terrorists, national security threats etc. In this instance, what were the producers aiming at? This guy may have been a criminal, delinquent or pervert (as the episode explores), but does it mean every American is?  The message seemed clear - get the Australian public to recognise Americans as seedy people and showcase the supremacy of Australian government security.


Pay Careful Attention to the Intro
An Episode of Border Security Australia

The next morning, I brought it up with my PR team, including two Aussies, a Brit and my American self. Monique, an Aussie obsessed with the fashion industry and an avid reader of Sydney based fashion magazines, watched the premier of Park Street. The observational documentary style show features behind-the-scenes action of 4 prominent fashion magazines under the ACP Magazines house – Cosmpolitan, Cleo, Madison, Shop til you drop and Dolly. She said it was so good. It reminded her of the time she was an intern at Cosmo. Too bad I didn’t get to watch it because it was on Foxtel programming, similar to Cablevision in the States. I only have the luxury of watching free-to-air television. Sharon, the Brit constantly on top of media trends via Mumbrella, shared with us that only 800+ people watched Park Street. Despite the disappointing viewership, I applauded Monique’s choice of programming even though she was one of the 800+ watching the night before. While most of Australian primetime television is dominated by American syndication, I was proud of ACP Magazines and its producers for creating a genuine show giving the audience an insider’s look at the fashion magazine world. Unlike shows like The Hills or The City, this show is about meeting deadlines, magazine creation and teamwork.

However, I was still fuming about Border Security and its lack of creativity. How could the Seven Network, one of the big 4 national broadcasters feature this show especially during the coveted primetime slot when most people are watching? It was like the show wanted to perpetuate Australian ethnocentrism and that it was ok. The worst part is, in my expat eyes, is that it made Australia look uneducated.


Coming from America, the starter of the ‘remove your shoes’ policy, racial profiling and body scans, I cannot say that our border security is top notch, but we don’t televise it – according to my knowledge. Then again, I haven’t lived in the states for almost 3 years. I mentioned all these frustrations to my colleagues and they defended the program right away saying that the show wasn’t trying to be elitist and that Australian programming is often aimed to make fun of itself. In actuality, the program is trying to show the Australian public of how effective the Government is. Growing up, my only notion of Australian programming was Paul Hogan and the late Steve Irwin, The Crocodile Hunter. Agreeing that Australian programming commonly uses this format, I still can’t agree with Border Security, a show aimed at exposing the reality of national security, yet exploiting visitors to Australia. The content is full of suspense leaving the audience more suspicious of foreigners landing in Oz. How appropriate when at the moment, one of the most newsworthy topics is about Australia’s multiculturalism and its effects on visa policies spurring on One Nation racist attitudes against groups such as Muslims, Lebanese, Aboriginals etc. Ref ABC’s Q&A – Australia’s most watched programming on Monday nights featuring political debate with politicians and heads of interest groups. It’s also one of the world’s most tweeted programs! I came to Australia because I could with the Working Holiday Visa. Watching programming like Border Security makes me think I’m going to get jumped at the airport or that the government is going to kick me out simply because I’m not a white Australian.

On a lighter note, one of my favourite shows in Australia is the 7pm Project. A news show featuring stories of the day with comedic commentary – much aligned with Australia’s favourite programming format of making fun of itself. I guess if Australia’s more in tune with this show rather than the viewership of Border Security, I’ll be safe from any ethnic cleansing mobs.


Comedic Radio Announcers Hamish & Andy on the 7pm Project

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I love this. It really makes me laugh out loud. Great work. :)

How long have I been here?