Friday, February 1, 2013

Legend of Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses


Dave is such a good gift giver. He loves surprising me with surprise trips away for our anniversary, taking me on a European tour for my birthday or printing this entire blog as a coffee table book. This Christmas, I wanted to get him something memorable. Being time poor (I know, not a good enough excuse) got me thinking to get him tickets to something. We live in such a cosmopolitan city and the most iconic thing about it is probably the Sydney Opera House. We have never actually been inside except for a free tour during Australian Heritage Week. This time, I wanted us to experience a show. I didn't want to go to just any show, but a symphony...after all the building is known for operas and symphonies. And what better way to experience our first symphony than one themed after one of the greatest video games that we both actually played.

So for Christmas, I got Dave tickets to see Legend of Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses.

Princess Zelda Figurine & Homemade Christmas Card

Dave so so psyched. When he opened my gift (a green sphere with a surprise figurine inside), he was happy just to get that! While he was playing with his brother's dog, I snuck away to his mom's office to create a homemade Christmas card.

When we all gathered to open gifts, Dave was one of the first to go because we were going alphabetically. He opened a few gifts and when he got to mine, I couldn't help but smile in excitement. My smile turned into embarrassment when he read my private card aloud to his entire family. At least they know how much I love him.

He looked back at the card and didn't realise what I had given him until I told him it was tickets to see Legend of Zelda, the symphony. His brother and Kendra's boyfriend gasped. They too, fellow gamers knew how awesome this gift was.

On the night of the symphony, we enjoyed dinner and drinks at Opera Kitchen. As the time got closer to the 8pm curtain call, we began to see a change in the people wandering around the Opera House. There were people in Link and Zelda costumes. I laughed hard thinking I would be walking into comic-con. Dave's eyes lit up in excitement.

Walking into the Concert Hall


A Packed House

Our Box Seats View


Can You Spot Link?

The show was introduced by the creator (later we found out our friend Danny is friend's with him!). In true geek style, he came out in blazer, jeans and sneakers. He spoke with passion about his love of the game and even held up the original Nintendo game.

This was the first international show and we were so lucky to take it in. The symphony was performed in a 4-part movement and conducted by Eimear Noone, a famous video game composer who's resume boasts of World of Warcraft, Diablo and Final Fantasy scores. Performed with the Sydney Symphony, the music was played with a compilation of 25 years of footage from the game and it matched perfectly!

I love classical music, but I'm not sure I could handle over two hours without a visual aid - this was the perfect symphony to get Dave and I into orchestral performances.


The Orchestra

When the orchestra played the finale piece according to the program, the packed concert hall gave a standing ovation. But it wasn't over. The creator came back out again and teased us with the encore. Once the encore was played, we all stood to give our praise to the composer. Then a second encore was played. The composer had each section of the orchestra stand and we all clapped thinking it was over, but then there was a third encore! This was more than a rock show and the gaming geeks (including Dave) were beside themselves. Dave told me this was one of the best presents I've ever given him. In my mind, it wasn't just a present for him, but for me too. What an excellent show combining a symphony and a beloved video game that my generation knows and loves.

No comments:

How long have I been here?