Sunday, August 18, 2013

Rooting on Team USA

I've been an expat for 5 years now. It doesn't seem that long ago that I was finalising my visa for what I thought would be a year in South Korea teaching English. Fast-forward two years and Dave and I are moving to Australia and we haven't looked back except with fond memories.

So when I get the chance to show some national pride, I go big...because I'm not ready to go home.

In June, Dave and I scored some tickets to the Canada vs USA hockey game being played at Sydney Olympic Park. We jumped at the chance to see not only one of Dave's favourite sports, but also showcase our love of country to the max. So we painted our faces. 


Game-time Accessories


Fantastic Face Paint Artistry by Dave


The Perfect Patriotic Pants
From Chicabooti (a store in The Galeries)

When I found out about the game, I knew I had to find the most patriotic outfit. Surprisingly, the stores in Sydney featured American themed clothing this past winter. Every store I went to (Cotton On, Factorie, Supre etc) all had American flag vests, shorts, scarves, t-shirts and pants. I couldn't resist a pair of American flag skinny jeans. For $30, not too shabby. I convinced myself that I'd wear them again.


Before heading to the game, I celebrated Lauren's 30th birthday at an afternoon tea party at the swanky Darlinghurst establishment The Victoria Room. Can you believe the transformation? And this was all done on the train ride!


A House Divided


The USA Clown
I didn't mean to scare our friend's child!

We expected mediocre hockey. There was no way the top NHL players were coming out to Sydney for an exhibition match. What we got instead was the third string guys. And did they put on a show! The atmosphere was electric. The announcers were Canadian and American - voices we hadn't heard over an intercom in so long. The arena was covered in what looked like red, white and blue confetti, but was actually fans sporting their country colours. Every time the USA team scored, Bruce Springsteen's Born in the USA blared over the speakers. And when either team scored, pyrotechnics would go off next to the goals. It was a true spectacle. But when one too many players took to the ice, and fights began to breakout, we knew this was indeed a spectacle. It didn't matter though, the event was so entertaining and over-the-top. It was truly amazing to see that American and Canadian ice hockey had found its way to Australia.


Ready to Walk at Olympics Opening Ceremony

The biggest day to show-off USA pride can be none other than the 4th of July. I put on my red Banana Republic skirt and a white and blue oxford button down shirt from Uniqlo and walked proudly into work waving my flag singing Born in the USA. It was pretty obnoxious, but I felt as the only American in my office, I had to do it. My colleagues enjoy my 'Americaness' and often embrace it. They once threw a Thanksgiving lunch and this day an Independence Day morning tea.


Italian Bake Goods for the 4th of July


Happy Thankspendance!

Our American friends in Sydney threw a 'Thankspendance' party in July to not only celebrate the birth of our nation, but also the feast you would be eating at Thanksgiving since in July it's as cold as it would be in November (remember I'm in the Southern Hemisphere and the toilet water flows the other way). The Patriotic Pants made an appearance. I'm definitely getting my money's worth now.


Go Team USA!

My soccer team didn't do so well in it's race to the grand final, but our club's All-Age Women's 2 team did reach the semi-final stage. Supporting my American friend Lauren and of course being a superfan that I am for the club, I went the obnoxious route and wore the Patriotic Pants again! This time I paired it with some of the tinsel from the hockey game and looked like an American Christmas tree. The crowd loved it. These pants are the gift I gave myself and they just keep on giving!

I never planned on being an expat for 5 years and am not sure when I'll return to the good ol' U S of A, but while I'm away, I will definitely keep chanting U-S-A!

No comments:

How long have I been here?