Sunday, October 20, 2013

Spring Carnival

After soccer season ends in early September, the team disperses going on holidays and getting caught up with work. Luckily, we can all still find time to get together even outside of soccer commitments. In September, one of the girls posted an open invite on Facebook for the ladies of Waverley to come together for a day at the races - the horse races that is.

Once September hits, the weather is warmer, the days are longer and the jacarandas are in bloom. These are all signs that it's Spring Carnival time. I have never been to Spring Carnival or the spring horse racing season. I've always gone in April when horse racing season is ending. I missed out on our club's end of season awards presentation night or 'preso' in September because I was on vacation. This night is our club's chance to celebrate our season and of course get dressed up to the nines. Going to the races was my chance to get dressed up, so I went shopping.

On the Friday before the races, Fee and I met at the Westfield Bondi Junction. I had a vision of finding a floral maxi dress to go with my white fascinator. I was feeling fat that week and anticipated it would be chilly after the sun went down, so I was dead set on a maxi dress. Instead, I bought a new floral fascinator from Sportsgirl ($20). Flower crowns are trending for the races, festivals and weddings. I put this one crown on and fell in love with it. I knew I had to get a beautiful dress to go with it, but what colour would compliment the dress? All throughout the Westfield, Fee and I kept seeing neon dresses. It was a sign. I found many of them, but they didn't suit my flower crown.

I luckily found the perfect neon maxi dress at Cargo Store in Coogee that afternoon! The store  had white, black ,peach and neon varieties and for only $45! I paired the look with a long gold chained necklace from Forever 21 ($6) and nude coloured peep toe pumps from Wittner ($40). The entire look for less than $120! I wear the shoes to work and the necklace can go with a casual or work look. I'll be a little more selective about when and where I wear the flower crown and dress, but I am absolutely in love with the entire ensemble that I may just wear it again for the Melbourne Cup!


A New Look for Spring Carnival


Fee and I With Our New Fascinators


The Soccer Girls


There Were No Available Chairs


The Trick is to Bet on 3 Horses to Place
With Decent Odds and Fun Names


Me and Kate Soaking up the Sun


We All Got New Outfits


Love These Girls!

We were at the races from noon until nearly 6 pm enjoying champagne, some wins and some losses. Although we couldn't snag any chairs, we had such a wonderful day sitting in the sun with our beautiful new frocks and fascinators. Hopefully we don't wait until next year for another chance to get all dressed up or for a girls day out.

No comments:

How long have I been here?