Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Birthday, Boozing, & Fireworks


Happy 23! Mocha Cake Mmm!...with cherry tomatoes? (It's a fruit here)

Every year since I was 16, I have been trying to top the last year's birthday. At 18, I took my first road trip to Austin, TX and went skydiving. At 20, I had a blowout birthday limo that took 30 of my friends around Times Square in NYC. At 21, I was on the Semester at Sea ship docked in Singapore. At 22, I was a a CEOs & Tennis Pro's Senior Night (college costume party).

This year has definitely topped the last. October 4, 1985 is my birthday. On October 4, 2008, I had the best day I've ever had in Korea. Christie created an event to get all the people we had met over the past few weeks together at Yeoido Island. It's like Randall's Island in New York City. The October 4th weekend is a Korean holiday.


Thousands gathered starting at 2pm on Yeoido Island to watch Fireworks at 7pm


Fireworks on Yeoido Island

New Friends & Birthday Girls: Me & Leslie

It's getting dark. I'm happy until...I had to wait an hour in the port-o-potty line

Birthday Roman Candle

Me, Christie, & Matthew enjoying the fireworks

Brandon & I with the CDI April mug

Nayoung: 1st Korean Friend

Korean Girl Pose: Somehow...Elliot & Dan found us in crowds of thousands!
Chris, Nayoung, Elliot, Me, & Dan
Elliot, Chris, Me, & Dan

After the fireworks, we went to Taereung, where Christie, Wesley, and I live and had galbi (Korean BBQ) and a rooftop party. It was so nice gathering all the people I had met over the past 2 months I've been in Seoul to celebrate my birthday. It's amazing how foreigners attract each other. Everyone I meet is so willing to do anything and have fun. Although I have known these people just a few short weeks, they all came out and celebrated with me, took me out to dinner, bought me a cake, and had a rooftop party. I am truly blessed to have met such nice people.
Me, Meg, Brandon, & Darcie on the roof

Hoodie Buddies: Darcie, Me, & Brandon

Darcie, Nayoung & Me: We have the best interpretive dances.

What better place to celebrate my birthday than with all my new friends in South Korea! Happy 23rd or as Catherine would put it: "Happy 21st for the second time!"

No comments:

How long have I been here?