Monday, October 20, 2008

Subway Ettiquette

Coming back from Korean lessons at City Hall, I rode the Metro (Seoul subway). I have used this many times. I probably ride the subway 3-5 times a week. Today, I was actually yelled at by an old man. I was riding with my friend Wesley, who I take classes with. He had been gone to Daegu all weekend to see his boyfriend and I wanted to catch up with him. I too, had a very fun and interesting weekend full of embarrassing things to update him on. Maybe I was talkin a bit loud, but I have to say the subway is a loud even if no one is talking. I have used asian public transportation before. Usually, you are not supposed to talk. Korean subways are different. People are talking on their phones, playing games, and conversing with one another. Do as the "Romans/ Koreans" do right? So I'm sitting and Wesley is standing and we're talking. Of course I have to be a little bit louder so that he can hear me. The next thing I know, I have a senior citizen Korean man yelling at me and the entire subway is staring at me. I nod my head, as customary towards your elders in Korea, and covering my mouth. Wesley starts talking louder and says, "He doesn't know what I'm saying anyways." I agree with him, yet I don't think I should have been yelled at! The old man ends up getting off at the next stop! I believe he could have tolerated a minute more of our banter. Furthermore, the Seoul subway trains have special seats for senior citizens. They are located at the ends of the cars where they are removed from high traffic (riders coming in and out or people talking). In my classes, the topic of pollution always seems to be the topic of conversation. After today, I guess I'm sorry for the sound pollution, but the old people should know where they "stand" or sit. -pun

No comments:

How long have I been here?