Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Bear-Ninja-Cowboy

Bear kills Ninja
Ninja kills Cowboy

Cowboy kills Bear

These are the rules to the best icebreaker ever! In college, when my friends and I were drunk, we came up with our own version of the timeless and classic game of "Rock-Paper-Scissors." Two people stand back to back. The rest of your friends would count "1, 2, 3, GO!" Next, the two participants would turn around quickly and display either a bear, ninja or cowboy. The bear stance is where both hands are raised in the air imitating a bear attack. The ninja stance is where the body is positioned low with one hand forward and the other hand back ready to do a ninja "chop." The cowboy stance is where both hands are drawn like guns in a duel. Whenever my friends and I would play this game, we would laugh hysterically and have fun.

This week is Week 1 of my 2nd term as an English instructor. With one term under my belt, I've had sometime to reflect and improve my teaching methods. One aspect of teaching that is difficult to accomplish is getting students to trust you and like you. This is best accomplished the first day of class. In the past few days, I've been attending Workshops that demonstrate proper class structure and effective teaching methods. One of the most important parts of the first class is done after explaining the syllabus and before starting the class material: The icebreaker. Most people hate icebreakers because they are cheesy, boring, and a waste of time. The icebreaker is crucial in forming the connection between authority (me) and the punks (the students). In the past, I've used the ever popular 2 truths, 1 lie game. This has been quite effective, but still did not get the students motivated. Nevertheless, I did excite intrigue between us. As my previous posts shows, I would write:

1. I have been to more than 20 countries.

2. I have eaten a spider.

3. I speak Korean.

The lie is that I speak Korean. This lie was helpful because my first and most important class rule is: No Korean. Only English. Then, I would get my students to do 2 truths and 1 lie of their own. The student's creativity is usually limited to:

1. I have a brother.

2. I have a sister.

3. I have been to America.

So now that that I have started a new term, I want to begin shining establishing that connection of trust quickly. The Bear-Ninja-Cowboy worked so well this week. I have only used it with the elementary level students. At the young ages between 9 and13, students seem to be more willing to try different things, are not embarrassed, and want to impress the class. Luckily, I got everyone to participate and the class responded with uproars of laughter. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

With the middle school level students, Bear-Ninja-Cowboy would never work. Middle schoolers are shy: of me & of each other. It's the whole "girl-boy" issue. The 2 truths, 1 lie icebreaker seems to work though. This week, I've gotten more creative responses such as:

1. I have a boyfriend.

2. I have been lost in a jungle at midnight.

3. I speak 4 languages.

The lie is actually "I have a boyfriend." Of course these middle school students wouldn't have boyfriends! They can't even own up to having friends of the opposite gender! One student actually was lost in a jungle because she used to live in the Congo in Africa. Another student did in fact speak 4 languages: Korean, English, Chinese, & Filipino. Unlike American students, Korean students are forced to learn more than 1 language at school and in academies after school.

Although it's only Day 2 of Week 1, this term feels like it's going to be great. I'm guessing I received good evaluations and recommendations from my head instructors and the students from last term because this term I am teaching 27 hours and all Eagle Reading & Listening class, plus 2 Memory Giga classes. Eagle is one of the top levels. The hierarchy is as follows:

Albatross
Eagle
Birdie
Par
Bridge
Memory Tera
Memory Giga
Memory Mega

I was surprised I was given a listening class because I have never taught it nor have I been trained. My favorite classes last term were my Bridge Reading classes. Everyone warned me in the beginning that Bridge Reading Middle Schoolers are the worst to teach because they sit like rocks. These classes ended up being my favorite because I felt like what I was teaching was not only getting across to the students, but also being retained. Plus, we would crack each other up with quips about each other, such as the boys having too many girlfriends, smoking cigars, or drinking too much soju.

The best part about Week 1 is seeing my former students. As much laughter, grief, or silence any of them gave me, they all have greeted me warmly before and after class and during the breaks. Many of my colleagues have come up to me saying, "'I have ________ in my class. He/She loves you and won't stop talking about you!." There is no better feeling when a student not only can remember your name, but also has positive things to say about you to his/her current teacher. Many of my kids have popped into my new classroom, tugged on me in the hallway, and even given me hugs. I hope my euphoria lasts 12 more weeks...

No comments:

How long have I been here?