Sunday, September 27, 2009

Korean History Lesson

Korean War Memorial & Museum


Map of Korean War Memorial & Museum

I've lived in Korea over a year and I'm still unsure about Korean history. It constantly comes up in class leaving me speechless because of the student-teacher role-reversal--the kids end up teaching me! Furthermore, it is reflected in Korean opinion, thus creating stereotypes specifically about Japan --who took over Korea for 35 years (1910-1945)! History is so important. It teaches us a lot about a place and more importantly about why people are the way they are. To give me a real history lesson, I went to the Korea War Memorial & Museum in Itaewon (foreigner district).


Itaewon Lunch & Rock Concert at the War Museum


Peace Plaza
The Korean War Monument & Steps


Korean Soldier Statues & K-1 Tank Experience Area



Struggling Korean Soldiers & The Statue of Brothers



Drum of National Defense in Central Hall & Historical Battle Clubs



Great War Displays
Korean War Incheon Invasion & The Great Victory at the Slasu River




Impressive Statues in the Korean War Room
Korean Soldiers & Three Human Bombs at White Horse Hill




Historical War Clubs & Turtle Shaped Battle Ship

Realistic Battle Scenes
Korean War & Joseon Dynasty



Former North & South Korean Divide & Painting of South Korean Victory over North Korea
38th Parallel & South Korean/UN Victory over North Korean Communist Invasion
After 3 hours of wandering two out of the three floors of this massive museum, I felt a Korean history lesson overload. I am so glad I went even though I was so full after my club sandwich & mojito meal in Itaewon. Not only were there many displays of battle relics, battle paintings and displays, but there were short 5 minute documentaries about various parts of the Korean War. This experience has been one of the best museum visits I've ever had. It was informational in more ways than just reading a history book and it kept me interested. If you have to go to one museum in Korea, go to the Korean War Memorial & Museum!
*Side note. I was interviewed by two college education majors during my lunch. They videotaped a 5 minute interview between me and one of them about my life in Korea and in America. My interviewer asked questions like "Why did you come to Korea" (money, experience, & more traveling) and "Where would you recommend me to visit in your country" (New York City!). They gave us Korean souvenirs and took our emails. One of them actually visited my blog and commented about how interesting it is. Very cool. Also, when we arrived at the museum, a massive fist-pumping rock concert was in full-swing with acts that parallel American pop punk rock bands like My Chemical Romance & AFI. Random things always happen here!

3 comments:

Norma said...

nice-u... i gotta catch up...

Michelle said...

Hey,

I hope this isn't weird, but I'm coming to work at the branch this week. I'm new as new can be and I was wondering if you know of a place to buy furniture and stuff nearby.

Michelle:

hiphoppe@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hi, just randomly found your blog and I wanted to ask if you get your hair done here in Korea?? Your highlights look REALLY good and I've only heard horror stories before, so I was wondering where you get your hair done :)

How long have I been here?