Thursday, October 1, 2009

Quickie Eye Exam


Going to the eye doctor is such a dreadful experience...back home that is. Now, that I've lived in Korea over a year, my one-year supply of contacts have diminished. Why is it a dreadful experience you ask? Well, for me it is because I always end up being humiliated.

What number do you see?

What letter do you see?

What animal do you see?

Repeat with the other eye hoping to have memorized the previous lines.

Fortunately, I don't mind my tests back home because I have a pretty hot doctor back home that can look as close to my retinas as he wants. Joke joke. He's actually my friend's dad whom I've had as a doctor for over 10 years.

In Korea, you don't have to go through all the tests; glaucoma, cornea shape, diabetes, dilation, refraction, peripherals, color-blind etc. The doctors--hopefully--or eye professionals didn't even ask what my prescription was. They sat me down at a machine where I had to look through binoculars at a green dot while a red laser scanned my eye. The process took less than 3 minutes an out comes a "receipt" with my prescription. Less than 100% accurate, the checker puts hand-held lenses with the machine's prescription asking me how it is. If it isn't the best clarity, the checker will test me with other lenses near the given prescription. After this 5 minute consultation, I move to the contact lens counter and pick the box I want. This is the toughest part about the entire exam because Korea does not sell one month daily wear contacts! I had to buy 2 week instead. The cost of the contacts were more expensive (150,000 won for 6 month supply) than what I pay at home, but what I pay at home is the $100/year insured rate. The big plus is that the entire consulation was free! Way to go Korea with your advances in eye checkups, affordability, and ease!

No comments:

How long have I been here?