Wednesday, August 25, 2010

15 Years or One week … and still no bull!


15 Years in business... and still no bull!*

This week, Taurus Marketing celebrates its 15th Birthday. RSVPs are flowing in, guest speakers are being confirmed and gift bags are being assembled. It seemed like weeks of planning and building of guest lists, but now all the loose ends are being tied up and we’re all looking forward to toasting our success at The Cruise Bar at the Rocks – like NYC’s Chelsea Piers of Sydney. I even bought a new dress and got new highlights because we're apparently being photographed by 4 society pages! I can’t be one to say that I’ve contributed to Taurus’ 15 years of success, but I will definitely be celebrating my personal success at landing a job with Taurus.

Although I’ve officially been at Taurus for a week now, it’s starting to really feel comfortable. I’ve been with the agency since the end of July, but after signing my contract on Monday, things are already changing and shaping up for the better.

Being on the job hunt for almost 2 months, I had to carefully look beyond company websites in seeking the right fit - co-workers, the work, and work load. I was fortunate enough to temp with them for a month before signing on. Most applicants and employers don’t get the luxury of ‘trying before you buy’. I got a taste of both the fun and tedious aspects of working at a PR and Marketing agency. Now, that I’m working as a full-time employee, I am no longer tasting, but am taking full bites in constructing my own projects and hopefully successes.

Within my first week, I wrote 2 articles respectively about the Australian election and what it means for small business and longevity in business. It felt like I was back in uni finishing a term paper having only started the night before.

‘Shadiyah, you need to write these 800 and 1200 word articles by Friday.’ – And it’s only Wednesday.

On top of those, I had to create a messaging and positioning document, a highly strategic document that companies use as the basis of their PR and Marketing campaigns, that again was due Friday. In between these 3 projects, coffees and teas had to be made, phones had to be answered and interns had to be managed.

Unsure of exactly what my role is besides doing supportive research for the Account Managers, I did anything and everything that was asked of me. Thankfully, that Friday, we had a constructive PR departmental meeting where all issues were laid on the table. With our new hire, namely me, we discussed where our department was heading, what kinds of clients we wanted to work with and how each of us contributes to the department. I was glad to voice that I didn’t want to just research and write all the time. I told them that I want to work with clients, pitch stories to journalists and create more opportunities for the agency.

That Friday, one article was published here and the other will be published later in the month. With my intern, I finished the messaging and positioning document with success…I received a lot of praise the following week from high-level executives via email of course.

Despite a bit of stress and having to sit across the room alone away from the PR team, I got all my projects done and my team was happy with my performance. My grievances were addressed and today, I walked into the office with a brand new setup – no more cubicle walls, a brand new computer and desk, and the entire PR team sitting together. I’ve already starting revamping the internship program and am handling new clients with confidence.

Although I’m not exactly part of Taurus’ 15 years of success, I’m excited to be part of its future. Here’s a toast to Taurus and me getting my very own business card!

*This is Taurus' slogan. Clever huh?

No comments:

How long have I been here?