Friday, February 18, 2011

First to New Year


Luna Park at Milson's Point

Sydney is fortunate enough to be one of the first cities in the world to reach the New Year and we were there to experience it. Like the pressure to experience New York City’s Times Square ball drop in your lifetime, we felt that we had to forget about expenses for once and enjoy fireworks the way Sydney-siders enjoy them. We bought pre-sale tickets for Luna Park (Sydney’s mini Six Flags with state fair type rides) at Milson’s Point – a $125 AUD investment to get the best view of the Sydney Harbour fireworks. With many of our Sydney friends away on their own adventures abroad, I hooked up with my colleague’s friend Lauren who had an apartment in Kirribilli, an area overlooking the harbour. Because Aussies plan way in advance for events, Lauren and I contacted everyone we knew still in the city for the holidays to purchase Luna Park tickets back in November! Unfortunately, most people had to work on New Year’s Eve – but who really works when it’s New Year’s Eve? Dave’s work let everyone out by 1pm and we went down to Surry Hills for the last step in our attempt at business visas in Oz – the health check. Afterwards, we went home and made breakfast wraps to bring to Lauren’s for some late night grub. What more could you want after a night of drinking? 



The Stage is Set...
Kirribilli, Across the Sydney CBD

Taking the train before the city shut down access at 4pm, we arrived in Kirribilli to meet Dave’s colleague Zachary. The rest of the evening was spent with beverages, a random assortment of chips, cheeses and dips a la Woolworth's and conversation on how Brits and Americans say things differently. Word of caution: if you’re ever in England, a ‘jap’s eye’ is not a Japanese person’s eye.



The Night View from Kirribilli



So Pumped for NYE and 2011



My NYE Date -  What a lucky guy!



Entrance to Luna Park

Sydney puts on two 15 minute shows; the first at 9pm for the young ones and of course a midnight viewing for the rest of the world. We got to experience the first viewing on Lauren’s rooftop overlooking Sydney Harbour. Afterwards, we walked over to Luna Park where we tapped into the child inside and rode roller coasters, the carousel, Ferris wheel, and something that reminded me of East Texas’ Forrest Festival’s The Zipper. 


Like Kids Again at the Fair


The View of Luna Park from the Ferris Wheel

Fifteen minutes before midnight, Dave and I had lost the group of 20. We began to make our way through the crowd to secure the ‘perfect spot’ along the edge of the boardwalk. We found most of our friends in the ‘perfect spot’ with exception to a pole in my sights and a crowd unwilling to budge. On my toes, I peered over inspecting the space just beyond my cluster. I found a spot and with Jedi mind tricks convinced Dave to move with me. It’s tough to use Jedi mind tricks with Dave who was way too focused on getting the right angle for the show. I then said, “Oooh! I see a spot!” In that moment, a couple next to me and the group of 'Jersey shore-like' girls in front of me said, “You have a really good spot. You’re not going to get any better.” I just wanted to slap the smugness right off their face. I’m not sure if it’s me, but since I’ve lived in Australia, I have noticed a condescending tone in Aussie-speak especially when Aussies are trying to instruct, give directions, or inform you on something – I’ve experienced this through security at Sydney Airport, a tour of the Parliament House, and basic conversation with strangers. This doesn’t happen though with my colleagues oddly enough. I could be totally wrong though.





Dave's Homemade Video
Combined Footage of Sydney Harbour Fireworks NYE



In total defiance and urge to piss of those around me, I grabbed Dave and walked through the couple and mean girls and found a quite open area to the ‘perfect spot’. Just in time, we watched the famous Sydney Harbour Bridge erupt with fireworks – even the tops of prominent buildings in the CBD shot off fireworks! The view was spectacular; although I’m not sure it’s worth $125. Nevertheless, Dave and I got to enjoy our first Sydney fireworks show, first New Year’s and first 6 months of living in a completely new city in a new country complete with jobs, an apartment, and friends. Can’t wait to see what 2011 has in store for us! 

No comments:

How long have I been here?