Friday, April 1, 2011

The Shady Travels Global Network



Found a pretty neat app on Facebook the other day. That's the great thing about apps. They are noticed and soon become popular because they appear on your news feed - the new form of 'word of mouth'.

So, I saw this particular app featured on my news feed and wondered why so many people had it. My Friend Map is an application that visually shows you in relation to all your friends around the world. Don't you want to know where all your friends are now? Guess Facebook is now the new CRM too.

I've had Facebook since it's inception in 2004 (beyond the Harvard network). Over the years, I'd say I've garnered quite a few Facebook friends especially from my high school, Fordham, Seoul and Sydney networks. With over 1500 online 'friends', I can't keep track of all of them, only the ones who are active on a daily basis. Some are active on an hourly basis. With my moves from Texas, NYC, Seoul and then Sydney, I hope that my friends have also embarked on some adventures over the years. It's great to see that some have based on their current location.

My favourite part about this map is that there are connections in the ocean - well they appear that way. I clicked on one connection in the Oceania region and found out that one of my friends from Semester At Sea decided to give up the corporate life to sail around the South Pacific, starting in Tonga. I wrote Facebook messaged him to let him know we're on the same side of the world and he promptly replied with his adventurous plan and asked if I'd like to come. Too bad I'm still stuck with a corporate seat belt on at the moment. 

No comments:

How long have I been here?