Monday, April 11, 2011

Running Revelations

This past Sunday my team lost 4-2 in a game we should have won. Every team will say this, but for real we could have! In an effort to transition from midfield to defense, I was out ran and scored on. In the last 2 minutes, I was scored on - but I was forced to play keeper, the 4th keeper of the game because we don't have any. Anyhow, my revelation is I desperately need to get back into shape. Although I'm playing with girls 19 to 25, I still need to show my soccer maturity including being able to keep up. I couldn't beat their forwards in a foot race and it was embarrassing. Back in high school, I was obsessed with being fit, but my definition of 'being fit' was to not be the last girl to finish the timed mile. This definition grew into an obsession that was near the definition of eating disorder. Although I lost a lot of weight, achieved top running times and received sly looks from guys that never looked at me that way before, it wasn't an ideal lifestyle. I would practice 2 hours at school, run 2 miles before after school practice, then 2 hours of after school practice and then hit the gym for some elliptical and weights. All this exercise was supported by a peanut butter and jelly diet. Believe it or not this was a daily routine. This past weekend's embarrassment makes me rethink about those days and how much time I had to 'being fit'. I'm a working girl now, but I can't handle being the last in a foot race. For the last 6 months I wake up at 6am atleast 3 days a week to run 5k around the botanical gardens. It started out as a quest to run a half marathon, which hasn't been abandoned. Is it enough though? Should I leave these dreams of high school soccer glory? I'm kind of glad we lost. I now have more motivation to perform better in our next games. I'll see how this goes, but seems to me I'll have to take on the working girl who runs marathons regiment-you know who I'm talking about. They are the power women who eat tuna and crackers for lunch and who you see running across the Sydney Harbour Bridge or around Central Park wearing a backpack with their suit packed inside. They dominate at work and on the pavement without thinking twice about time management. Any training tips are welcome.

No comments:

How long have I been here?