Saturday, May 7, 2011

Nintendo 3DS Party

Back in March Dave made a purchase behind my back - the just released Nintendo 3DS. He found out Myer the department store was having an exclusive play day before the release. He went, played, and was hooked. I was against this because he already had a Nintendo DS. Dave is not one to shop like me spending $20 here and there for tops made in China. So when he spent $350 on this one time purchase I couldn't argue. By the way it costs only $250 in the US and our dollars are at parity! His main point was that he had had every Nintendo console growing up - including the ones you had to blow into the cartridge when the game froze. He did however push me to get my first smartphone, so we would be equal with gadgets of our own.

For weeks since I would find Dave playing games rather than read, my preferred way to wind down after a long day and an activity I've been pushing Dave to take up. I've been guilty too. At times I pushed my novels aside to smash those ugly pigs with the Angry Birds. Too excited finding about the 3DS' capabilities, Dave would show me the magic-like tricks the 3DS could do with the fervor of a boy waking up on Christmas morning.

Although looking at the 3D screen gives me a headache, I've found one certain capability very interesting. You can take a photo of yourself and make a Mii or an avatar. When you pass another 3DS holder, your console will swap your information for theirs. With a green light signal on the top corner of the console, you know you have meet another player on Street Pass. You open up your 3DS and their avatar is revealed to you. You find about their name, where they are from, what game they have been playing and most importantly the puzzle pieces they have acquired. You can take one of their puzzle pieces to fit into your puzzle, which unlocks a scenario where a ghost has captured you and the person you just passed gets to fight the ghost off. If you win, you will find a treasure chest giving you access to collector hats eg Mario, Zelda etc. Sounds like Dave is increasing his wardrobe too. As I type this I am feeling a little like the characters from Big Bang Theory - check this TV show out if you haven't already. Geek humor at its finest!

So today, I'm blogging sitting on the steps of the Sydney Opera House because it is a big day for Sydney 3DS holders. Myer displayed a poster saying there would be a 1 hour Street Pass get together from 1-2pm on Saturday the 7th of May. I left Dave 5 minutes into it and started taking photos with my HTC Legend and started blogging.

Although I'm not a gamer or Nintendo junkie (but I'm pretty awesome at Donkey Kong), this is a unique idea. Living in a big city, it is tough to meet people and Nintendo did it. You don't even have to say a word because the 3DS will swap the information, but there is lots of conversation and smiles going around. There is also much concentration going on too because this is totally cheating, but who cares - 3DS has brought the gaming obscure together. Hope this post doesn't pin me down as a game nerd now :)





No comments:

How long have I been here?