Friday, May 6, 2011

When is Cinco de Mayo?

As a Texan in Australia, I couldn't miss out on the one holiday in America celebrated with tequila - Cinco de Mayo. Hearing my excitement and love for this holiday, one of the most common questions I get is, "When is Cinco de Mayo?" Come on people! Spanish is the second most spoken language in the world!


To commemorate one of the most celebrated holidays not our own (think of St. Paddys - an excuse to drink like an Irishman), I convinced my workplace Taurus Marketing to have their own Mexican celebration of food and drink.


Pulling together what we liked best in our knowledge of Mexican cuisine and what is available in Australia, we set up a table including tortillas, chicken fajitas, tortilla chips, guacamole, salsa and Coronas with lime. Additionally, I brought a sombrero luckily found at the best dollar store at Wynyard Station and some fake mustaches.



The Mexican Spread


Reppin' our 'staches Chicano style

Most think Cinco de Mayo is Mexican Independence Day, but it isn't. It is actually commemorating when Mexico defeated France. This was during a time Mexico owed money to a few European countries and stopped paying on their loan in 1861. France, who hadn't been defeated in over 50 years, would try to force them to pay and take Mexico over. In 1862, Mexicans armed themselves with pitchforks and few weapons and won the The Battle of Puebla driving the French off. However, the French came back a year later to take over after all. Although Mexico lost out in the end, they gained a great holiday to commemorate that battle and the resilient spirit of the Mexican people.

To find out more about the myths of Cinco de Mayo click here.


Although none of my colleagues or myself is of Mexican descent, we are grateful for what Mexico has given us: delicious spicy and cheesy food, Coronas and tequila!


Next year, I'll have to get everyone to take tequila shots in the office!


A big shout out to my girls Caitlin, Chelsea, Teresa, Lauren and Amy! My Fordham girls who knew how to celebrate Cinco de Mayo Mama Mexico style!

No comments:

How long have I been here?