Thursday, November 24, 2011

Home And Away


Celebrating a Wonderful Man
Me & Papa at his birthday party in the Philippines
November 2010

Here I am again. Another holiday I'm not celebrating in America. The last time I was permanently in the US was May 2008. I had just graduated from Fordham in NYC and then set off in a 2 month backpacking adventure through South East Asia. I came back for 3 weeks and then was off again to South Korea to teach English for the next 2 years. I have been in Australia for 1.5 years and I can undoubtedly say homesickness is a feeling that never goes away. If it weren't for Facebook and Skype, I probably wouldn't have caught up with the few friends from these various places. I don't even know if my nieces and nephews know who I am. Thank goodness for my mom who emails me even if they are forwards about bad luck, losing money, finding happiness etc...she's a pretty superstitious woman. No, this is not a pity party about my lack of connection with my former life. I've always checked in and my family knows that I'm doing well. They check in with me and I know they are doing well. It's a mutual understanding we've accepted, but lately I've been wondering if this long distance relationship is enough?

This year is especially important because my entire family is actually together at my house in Lufkin, Texas. The reason is not for celebrating Thanksgiving, but my grandfather Papa is in the hospital. He suffered a stroke and is in a vegetative state and quite swollen all over. He is in acute long term stay, which means he's in critical condition for an undetermined time.
I want to be there to hold his hand or hug my family through this hard time, but I'm not. I wonder if my loneliness and regret for not being with my family is because of my actions or is it just a certain series of events that have led me to this point in life.

As a responsible person (or at least I try to think I am), I choose the former. I could have bought a plane ticket and could be right in my living room listening to my Dad belting out Bridge Over Troubled Water on the karaoke machine, hearing my Mom clamoring in the kitchen while she yells at my brother to clean up, yet he ignores her because he's too preoccupied with whatever teenage boys are preoccupied with. It's the way I remember them and it's the way I want to think of them.
If I were a fly on the wall, I know my family would be in a grievous state, but they are the sort that don't dwell on sad situations. They would all be eating a mix of Phil-Am foods and thanking God for bringing them together and praying for Papa's recovery or at least peace.

I'm not there, but I'm almost certain this is how the scene is being played out and it makes me smile. I'll Skype with them all on Saturday morning/their Friday evening and hope to see their faces and hear a good time had by all.

This is why I'm not so sad about being across the world. I'm here with my partner and best friend. We've been each other's family for a long time and I cherish every moment...even if we've made pizza for Thanksgiving.


Thanksgiving Pizza! Why not?


Happy Thanksgiving from FST Media Editorial team!
Mags, Me, Mel, Tom, Toby and Matt

My office is so thoughtful and all wished me Happy Thanksgiving today. I suggested we take the lunches we brought and eat in the conference room together. They instead scrapped their lunches and ordered 4 roast chickens, steamed veggies, salad, potatoes and gravy from Spit Roast. Within 45 minutes, fourteen of us were sitting down around our conference room table with our Spit Roast feast sharing stories, laughing and making the most of a holiday that no one else in my office celebrates but me.


Thanksgiving doesn't have to be about turkeys, stuffing and pies (oh, how I miss pecan pie!). The thoughtfulness, effort and desire to be around those who love you is what Thanksgiving is all about. I'm not with my family today, but I got all of those things here in Sydney and that's what I'm most thankful for.


*The title Home And Away comes from a very popular prime time TV soap opera here in Australia. It's a fitting title.

No comments:

How long have I been here?