Monday, September 17, 2012

A Warm Welcome Home

Look What I Found at the Airport

Coming back from America was bittersweet. I didn't want to leave my dad alone while my mom was in the Philippines and my brother in college. However, I knew I was coming back to a man who loves me, takes care of me and supports me in everything I do.

When I found out about Lavina's passing, Dave was there to comfort me. He even ran from his office in North Sydney to Milsons Point, the next suburb over where I work. He stayed with me all day and took in my pain as if Lavina was his family.

During the 10 days while I was in Texas, Dave wrote me and Skyped me every chance he could - from when he woke up in the morning, during his lunch breaks and before he went to bed.

My flight was supposed to arrive at 6am, but was delayed an hour. He came right on time and waited the extra hour despite radio silence until we were gated at 7:30am. Standing at the arrivals gate with a beautifully written sign and a rose was so touching. It was the warm welcome home I needed. I agree with the many girls who have told me before - I do have good one.

When we arrived at our apartment in Elizabeth Bay, he carried my bags to the door and asked me if I could open the door because his hands were full. I looked at him suspiciously and opened the door to a bright apartment beckoning me to come in.

The entire living room was re-arranged and spotless. Around the room I noticed instantly the bouquets of flowers on the table, side table, kitchen counter and window sill.

My eyes lit up at the sight of the beautiful arrangements. I looked back at him with wide eyes and blurted the only word that came to mind. "WOW!"

"You should have seen it before." It must have looked like a bachelor pad.

"You did all this?"

"I did it all last night. That's why I'm a little tired. I stayed up and re-arranged everything, cleaned, vacuumed and picked up flowers."

I gave him the biggest hug and the sweetest kiss.

He led me to the bedroom and bathroom and there were another set of arrangements. There were 10 in total for every day I was gone. Even the bathroom glowed from the good cleaning he gave it.

Going through the shock of learning about my sister's passing, accepting that she is gone and try to moving on has been one of the most trying times of my life. I'm so happy to have Dave at my side to keep me grounded and safe in this healing process. 

I'll say it again, I do have a good one.

Flower Arrangements in the Kitchen

Flower Arrangements in the Living Room

View From the Doorway

View of the Bedroom

View of the Bathroom

No comments:

How long have I been here?