Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Grand Final

Waverley Old Boys AAW2 Grand Final Champions
Game 2 - Wish I was there.

In Australia, the championship game for any sport is called the Grand Final – sometimes there is a semi-final, then a final and finally the grand final. It boggles me considering the definition of the world ‘final’ means the end.


I'm proud to announce that my soccer team took home the grand final championship. I wasn't at the last game because I went home to be with my family when Lavina passed away, but I was so proud nevertheless.



'Thinking of You' Gift Hamper from the Team
Delivered to My House in Texas

We were beating every team in pre-season competitions, then struggled at the start of the season, but regained our stride mid-day through after a bonding night of good Peruvian food (our coach is from Peru), shots and karaoke.


Bonding Night With Coach Oz

Enjoying the Beresford in Surry Hills


Belting Out Rihanna's "We Found Love"

Our comp was split into an A and B division since there were 12 teams. For the rest of the season, we were undefeated. The game that gave me the biggest nerves was the semi-final. We played at Rushcutter's Bay for the first time (only a street over from my apartment in Elizabeth Bay) at a cricket oval turned soccer pitch. Our opponent was the Dunbar Rovers – the club’s nemesis. If we won this game, we'd be in the grand final, which made me more nervous than any game I’d played that season. It turns out that nerves make me put on a good show. I busted out moves, chasing the ball faster than the other girls, reading plays and finding my teammates even without me directly looking at their positioning. I even scored the only and winning goal of the game. I crossed the ball from a corner kick into the box. After a small shuffle, the ball came rolling back out to me and I kicked hard with my left food curving the ball towards the goal. The ball was met by one of their defender’s head and was headed backwards into the net. I fist pumped hard screaming “YES!”

There were so many club supporters and players on the sidelines screaming my name during the game and clapping and congratulating me on my performance when I asked for a break and when the game was over. I felt like my old high school superstar self again.


Semi-Final Victory Over the Dunbar Rovers!

AAW2 Grand Final Teaser


The next Sunday was the grand final against Maroubra FC – a team of very tall players who aren't good at all except for grabbing and pushing players. However, I wasn't nervous for this game at all. I knew there would be more people at this game, but what really settled my nerves was the fact that we had already beaten this team twice this season; 3-0 and 6-1.


The game was as expected – a lot of pushing, bitching and rough play. We scored two goals by half-time and knew we could probably score another two in the second half. In the 63rd minute, one of their players (a girl wide as she is tall according to my teammate Sarah) knocked down Rima, our right winger. She fell hard dislocating her shoulder and breaking her wrist. The Maroubra girl had no remorse. Rima lay on the field wailing in pain. We could do nothing until the ambulance came 20 minutes later. We gave her space and watched this tragic story unfold. Rima nearly unconscious, but still feeling agonising pain lay on the field with Coach Oz and Deb our sweeper. On another corner of the field, the officials discussed how the rest of the grand final would play out making calls to the Eastern Suburbs Football Association (ESFA) board. The Maroubra side had started to pack away their things and we were still on the field bewildered by the situation and continuing to warm up in case the game continued.

Warming Up

Ball Control


Foot Race

Preparing to Cross the Ball

Lots of Pushing

In the end, the game was ‘abandoned’ because the 90th minute rang in while Rima was still on the field. If we had played up to 70 minutes, the win would be in our favour. A re-match was called for the following Thursday.


When I found out about Lavina on the Monday, I called Oz insisting I play, but wasn't ready to go to practice on the Tuesday. “Do what you need to do Shady. You know we’re hear to support you in whatever decision you make.” I needed to play. With all that had happened, I needed to remain in control and lead a normal life.

By Tuesday, I couldn't handle it anymore and told Oz I was leaving the next day and to tell the girls to just win. That night, Oz broke the news to my team and by 9pm a flood of texts and emails rushed into my inbox. After 24 hours of crying, I cried again that night.

I left on the Wednesday, but due to jet lag, followed the Facebook posts to see a 1-0 victory! I was so happy at 5am Texas time. I just wished I could have been there to help secure that goal and more.


In the week following the victory, I saw photos and videos of the win that very cold Thursday night. Champagne was popped, medals were granted and warm speeches made. Man, I wish I was there to embrace my team and scream in joy.




Grand Final Highlights
Start at 2:24

A week after I came back was two weeks after the victory. That Saturday was our club’s annual presentation awards night and I was the co-host emcee. My co-host was a guy who had played for the club but didn't play this last season because he was doing a FIFA Masters in the UK. Luckily, he was fully on board and wrote our entire script because I came back to an office in desperate need of my help due to my bereavement leave.

We ‘met’ via Skype like an e-date the Thursday before and practiced once on Friday and again before the start on Saturday night in person.



Preso Night Emcees
Me and Adam

Here's a taste of our intro:


A: Distinguished guests, Ladies and Gentlemen, WELCOME to the Waverley Old Boys presentation of Awards evening for 2012. Tonight, we celebrate the achievements of each and every one you, from the players and trainers, to the coaches, managers and of course volunteers.  We come together to honour achievement and recognise unselfish involvement.  Let us not forget tonight how a club like Waverley is run.  Through a potent concoction of hard work and dedication, this club has grown from the relative obscurity of just two senior men’s teams in 2001, to a total of 12 senior teams in across all competition in 2012.  This includes an uptake in the number of females participating each year and of course the inclusion of junior teams and programs in recent times.


A: Before we get into the ‘crux’ of the night, I’d firstly like to introduce myself…..my name is…..


S: ‘What!!!!!’


A: Errrrr…..my name is….


S: ‘Who!!!!!’


A: Ahhh….my name is…..


S: It’s Shady!!!!!


WALK TO THE FRONT


A: Um…excuse me….we’re here to celebrate the achievements of the Waverley Old Boys football club…. not quote 90’s Eminem songs…..you can’t just barge in like this? 


S: Yes but my name is actually Shady….Shady Lim.


A: Ok….but, can’t you see I’m in the middle of something here?….


S: Oh yes I realise but I thought….maybe we could…..share the MC duties tonight?


A: Well have you run it past Mark Ambour, or Michael Kava…..Nicole Cooney, or even Miss News?


S: No 


A: Well then, what right have you to interrupt like this?  I’ve never heard of you in my life.  Do you even play for the club?


S: Not only do I play for the club….but MY team went one better than your AA9’s last season and actually WON the premiership!


A: Well I……but we…..that might have been because…..


S: (SIGH) Besides, you don’t need to introduce yourself…..Everyone knows who Adam Giles is and what he’s been doing this past year……PFFFFT!!!!……


Ladies and Gentlemen, instead of boring you all to death with lame MC stories…. let’s look back over the past 12 months to see what Adam and I have been up to……


What Have Shady and Adam Been up to in the Last Year?


Our Eminem skit was applauded and loved by the entire room. I had never spoken in front of so many people since my Senior Breakfast speech in high school. At least I knew everyone in my senior class and they knew me. This was different because this was my first season with the club and I only knew the girls. I channeled years of watching Oscars presenters and mimicked their style and it worked. I received so many compliments that night. I've always wanted to be a TV presenter. 


And the Oscar goes to...

For the rest of the evening, we gave out awards such as Volunteer of the Year, Player of the Year and recognised all the Grand Final winners. We also presented video highlights of the season and the championship games.


Season Highlights


I Finally Got to See the Grand Final Medals
League Champions
Grand Final Champions


WOBFC All-Age Women 2 Team



On Stage With Our Club Grand Final Medals


WOBFC Blue and Gold Sweets Table


Have a Blast


Too Much Fun on the Dance Floor

Club Photo

It was so good to see my team again. The last time they saw me was at the first grand final match. The last time they had heard from me was when Oz broke the news about sister. It was a sweet feeling to come back to not only a winning team, but a group of friends who support me and care about me.



Official Team Photo

Team Love

I've definitely found the club and team I want to be a part of while I’m in Australia. I can't wait for next season to see them all again and play the game we love. Until then, I'll be seeing a few of the girls in outdoor 5-side on Monday nights.

No comments:

How long have I been here?