Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Soccer Shady Returns Volume 2

Last year, I embarked on a self-discovery. Well, it was really a re-self-discovery through soccer. I had played extensively in high school and continued my passion (with less commitment) through Fordham's co-ed intramural league. I stopped when I lived in Korea because women's leagues weren't as popular, and I really didn't want to run amidst all that air pollution.

Now living in one of the most eco-friendly countries, soccer has re-entered my schedule. After hitting my targets of having an apartment, a job and gaining my bearings around Sydney, my focus was on my social life.

It's taken the entire year and half I've lived here to finally say I've got friends. Sounds sad, maybe even pathetic, but for the first time, friends aren't as easy to come by. In high school and college, classmates and even dorm roommates were friends. In Korea, I worked in an academy with 30+ expats, whom you're bound to find at least some common interest with even it is late night barbecue after work.

Sydney is a different ecosystem. I no longer had access to those who were doing exactly what I was doing. Work colleagues defined my relationships for a while. Then I joined the American Expat Meet Up group. From there, my network spread by gaining friends of friends as my own friends - people I actually felt comfortable not only calling, but making plans with.

Still it wasn't enough. I had my professional life and my personal life. There was still something missing - something that wasn't part of either.

Soccer was my outlet. At first, I joined to expand my network and play with a soccer ball again. I had a fantastic first season playing centre midfield (never played this position before) and leading my team to the semi-finals. My passion for soccer was reignited, but I still didn't have the social aspect I seeked. The team I had joined were mostly all Jewish girls (it was a Jewish club) ranging from 16-26. They all knew each other or were friends with each other's siblings. They were all social together, but never extended it to the team. They were lovely girls and treated me well, but the connection wasn't there. It seemed like another day at work - share the pleasantries and leave it at that.

Back in January, I hadn't heard from the team until I got an email from our team manager to return the uniforms! I paid over $400 in registration fees and don't get to keep the uniform! Furthermore, the team was without manager or coach. I was back as Soccer Shady and needed more discipline from an organised team.

I committed a soccer sin and joined a competitor - The Waverley Old Boys.

There were only 8 teams in our league and reflecting back on the ones that had strong camaraderie and, hate to say it, but were all older - I remember two teams I liked.

I went to try out for the Dunbar Rovers because, hate to say it but, they practice near my transfer train station. They were also one of the nicest girls I had met in competition. I arrived at Wentworth Park to find that they had switched practice locations. Major sign this team wasn't for me. I couldn't go from one disorganised team to another.

That week, I played with my new team. Again, sad to say, but I chose the team because they practiced only two stops from where I live. I did remember them being a fun bunch of girls who had strong coaches and organisation. I especially recognised the team because this was the very team I had my Bend It Like Beckham moment, scoring off a corner kick.

During our first game together, we were split into two teams to play an inter-squad game. I played hard hoping to gain favour of my coaches and my teammates. Since then, I have practiced with them twice and played in a charity tournament. At each instance, I'm meeting new girls both regulars and brand new to the club. It's refreshing meeting strong determined women from here and abroad who enjoy my passion for soccer. I'm excited to see where this season takes my skill level and my network of friends.


Two Pitches at the Charity Gala Day


Men's Side



Women's Side


New Teammate & Former Coach
*A little awkward when I told him I'm with a different team, but completely understood



Practice Grounds at Queens Park

No comments:

How long have I been here?