Monday, December 17, 2012

Lufkin is my home


My Childhood Bedroom - Everything is Still in its Place

Dave Found My Childhood Friend

We woke up late on Sunday. Dave seemed to be handling jet lag well whereas I could sleep for hours. I had also started reading Scar Tissue, Anthony Kiedis of the Red Hot Chili Peppers memoir. We didn't do much on Sunday because we were so tired. But I'm never too tired to go shopping. We did manage to buy new Sperry Top Siders (boat shoes), Triscuits and pepper jack and smoked cheddar, Nutty Buddy's and some American beers (Blue Moon and Ziegenbock) I wanted Dave to try.

Sperry Top Siders - the Best Travel Shoes

A Must-see When in Lufkin during Christmas time
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Oil Pump

We chatted a lot with my mom and dad and found out they would be holding a family party that night for my brother for his 19th birthday! That evening, we ate all my favorite Filipino foods and celebrated an more intimate welcome home with my family, aunt, uncle, my late sister’s husband, and my cousin from New York who flew in from Seoul!

My Little Family

The Extended Family

Addicted to Mom's Cooking
White Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Oreos

You Must Sing When Visiting My House

We enjoyed drinks and few games of beer pong and flip cup until my brother was off his rocker. It was a little strange to be drinking and partying with my little brother, but seeing him having so much fun with all of us was priceless. He is in the National Guard and going off to training for 9 months in a few weeks. I wouldn't have much time left with him, but I'm glad I got to spend time with him and see him having a lot of fun.

The next day, we woke up late again, but worked hard to fight off the jet lag by avoiding napping. That day, we relaxed and prepared for our trip to Austin and San Antonio. I took Dave on our first run around my neighborhood. It felt so good to run the same path I ran every day during high school. That night we enjoyed all the food my mom had made for my brother's birthday in new recipe forms such as taking the lechon and making it adobo. We reminisced and laughed hard at my many jokes and stories my dad told.

When we were in transit, the Newtown shootings happened. It was so devastating to hear about this tragic story. When I came home, my parents were in shock too, but had a different perspective – a very conservative Republican perspective. They heard Obama was looking to ban assault rifles. I praised him whereas my dad went straight to Louisiana to buy one! I love my parents and have respect for their wisdom, but in this case we would have to agree to disagree. We both agree on one thing; education is key.

No comments:

How long have I been here?