Saturday, May 30, 2009

3rd Term Jungle

A Board Drawing of Me as Dr. Hannibal Lector
When students are not paying attention or being really obnoxious, I stop the class and show clips of Hannibal, the movie. I show them a specific scene where Hannibal, a cannibal, cooks part of a police officer's brain while the officer is alive and feeds it to the officer to engross Clarice. This tactic works like a charm because even the rudest most annoying pain in my class will tell me, "Teacher, let's start studying."
The Two Sides of Willy

Willy is one of the most notable characters in my 3rd term teaching. He is a very cute pudgy boy who is in Eagle Reading and Albatross Listening. He is one of the smartest students I have. By smart, I mean clever. He speaks like an aged professor with years of cultivated wit. Although he has lots to offer in class discussions of JFK's assassination, stem cell research, and societal obedience, his favorite topic is anything related to weapons. Our class could be in the middle of outlining a passage or discussion and would jump out of his chair and draw a gun on the board and relate it to the topic. As annoying and distracting this was, his antics would only put a smile on my face.

On the other hand, Willy always fought with Steve. Willy and Steve are 5th graders and the youngest students I have. Willy, who is apparently rich because he often speaks of his father's Lexus and plays with his I-Touch, and Steve who is not as rich, get into daily verbal spats. Nagging, making fun of Steve's lisp, swearing, it never ends!

One day in Albatross Listening, both Willy and Steve were late from break time. Apparently, they went to the first floor and fought. Willy was calling Steve poor and Steve Willy to stop or he would hit him. Well, Willy did not stop and Steve body slammed Willy to the ground. Steve went into the elevator. As the doors closed, Willy flicked an "O beg" won or 50 cent piece to him. Steve walked into class with a harsh smug and Willy came back smiling with a red mark on his face. I took the boys to the office where nothing ever happens except a pat on the back and lollipop distribution. Steve started crying and Willy watched with a smirk on his face. I've had Steve's mother call stating Steve would not attend unless Willy was separated from him. Even though I have placed both boys on opposite ends of the classroom, Willy will continue to tease Steve even during my lecture. I've talked to them together and individually. I've reasoned with them. I've separated them. By the end of the term, they both concluded that nothing would help their relationship. It is a sad realization, but is a true reflection of how many grown-up relationships work. Sometimes there is nothing to be done because they will never get along.


Despite the daily episodes between Willy and Steve, this Spring term was one of the most challenging and rewarding terms. I had to teach the highest levels (Eagle and Albratross) to elementary school students for the first time. This group is the toughest because at this level they are probably more smartest, witty, clever, and sarcastic than you. I had to be equipped to think above them and ready to spit back quips that would put them in their place. At the same time, I could be crazy with them and they wouldn't judge me like middle schoolers. They would join in on my games and ready to participate even if we were doing a Mr. Korea pageant.

Normal Silly


Memory Tera T/TH Middle School

Normal Silly


Albatross Listening Tuesday Elementary

Normal Silly
Albatross Listening Friday Elementary

Normal Silly

Eagle Reading Monday Elementary

Normal Silly


Albatross Listening Thursday Elementary

Last Day of Class
Smashing Books on Floor & Jumping on Them

No comments:

How long have I been here?