Saturday, May 16, 2009

Seoul World DJ Festival

May 9, 2009. Seoul World DJ Festival at Hangang Park. It was an all day/all night event.

I had worked IBT makeups earlier that day finishing at 2pm. I live in Nowon-gu, across town from the event near Mapo-gu Office Station. After a subway ride that lasted over an hour, I finally reached the station at 4pm. Dave and Mike had already started to set up camp at the outdoor concert at Nanjin Park of Hangang Park. Little did I know that Hangang Park encompases nearly all of the Han River, I ask a taxi driver to take me to Hangang Park figuring I was only 5 minutes away from the station. He took me across the river to a park with a circus. I called Dave hoping this was it. Negative. Nanjin Park was the destination. After 20 minutes of pitiful attempts at hailing a cab and droves of Korean families watching my absurd antics, I finally got into a second cab that took me to Nanjin Park area, 5 minutes away from the subway station. He told me I needed to climb a small mountain to get to Nanjin Park. So, that's what I did. I trekked up for 20 minutes to the top trying desperately to follow the music. I figured the concert was either at the top of the mountain or over it. When I finally got to the top, two pathways greeted me. I took the one more travelled leading to nothing but nature lovers strolling around the mountain. The other direction ended after 50 meters. I decided to climb back down despite my hopeful attempt to cross the mountain. Nevertheless, I found grot shots of the Han River and World Cup Stadium at the peak. Thinking beyond my physical limits, I decided to get smart. Why not follow the foreigners! I found a group walking on a trail that looked like they were into DJ music. I decided to rush past them making me look like I knew where I was going. After 10 minutes of scuffling, they were no longer behind me, nor was anyone in front of me. I had walked 3 km alone. Nevertheless, the music became more distinct. The concert was riverside, yet across a highway. I walked towards the closest overpass only to find it under construction. The next closest overpass was behind me back another 3 kilometers. Exasperated and exhausted, I walked 3.5 kilometers back to where the 2nd cab driver had dropped me off. I had caravans of families and tour buses stop to help me. I refused determined to do this on my own. No one could stop me. No one could touch me. If a rapist were to attack me then and there, they would only meet my fury. I finally crossed the overpass and walked another 3.5 kilometers along the river to my final destination. After 2.5 hours of traversing rivers, mountains and highways, I finally made it and all I wanted was an ice cold beer that was 30 minute wait.

Me, Dave, & Mike Finally Reunite After 2 Hours Lost

Crowd Shot during Towa Tei (Featured DJ from Japan)
Behind these people are waves of people sleeping since 9pm

View of the Han River from Nanjin Park

View of World Cup Stadium

Dr. Martens Cut Out
A Major Brand/Sponsor in Korea

I was at the concert from 6pm till 4:30am. It was an exhausting concert, but was well worth the trek to get there. I got to hang out with my old friends Dave & Mike and my former co-workers Trevor and Kristen. My other co-workers showed up too at the end of the night. It was like being in college again laying on the grass with our pizzas and beer and fist pumping to some good house and techno. I don't know when my next concert will be, but I'm glad I caught this one-an outdoor event full of foreigners coming together for their joy of good times and music in Korea.

No comments:

How long have I been here?