Saturday, May 16, 2009

Canadian Obsession: Poutine

Little did I know that some of the most common foreigners in Korea are Canadians. It was no surprise that some of my best friends and co-workers are Canadians. Being a foreigner, you often share stories of home discussing especially the things you miss the most. For me, it was Cafe Del Rio (cheap dirty Mexican food in Lufkin), a pizza slice from Pugsley's in the Bronx, or even simple delights such as olives, cheese, and Triscuits. My friends John and Dave missed poutine.

Poutine is a dish consisting of french fries topped with fresh cheese curds, covered with brown gravy and sometimes additional ingredients. (Wikipedia.org)

At first, this sounded disgusting. I am used to fries, cheese fries, even chili cheese fries. Gravy is supposed to go on mashed potatoes. Furthermore, what the heck is a cheese curd?! I can't lie though. My friend Teresa, from the cheese state of Wisconsin, often spoke of cheese curds like a fine wine. Anyhow, as a true traveler, I am open-minded to trying new things especially since my good friends sing poutine's praises.


New York Fries Poutine (Smallest & Largest Sizes)
*Note: Not a New York Based Company--It's Canadian!

Remarkably, I have a fantastic memory. Out and about-- or "oot and aboot" as my Canadian friends would say--in Apgujeong (the Beverly Hills/ 5th Avenue of Seoul), I remembered crossing a yellow checkerboard store with massive displays on its exterior of various french fry concoctions taking special notice of poutine since my co-workers had mentioned this dish over and over.

Weeks later, I had heard Dave and John raving and salivating over poutine again.

"I know where you can get poutine."

Immediately, their eyes lit up and nothing was left to discuss except for the time and date of the poutine extravaganza.

This extravaganza turned out to be more of a hunt in the sweltering heat of the concrete jungle that is Seoul. On our one day off, Dave and I trekked down to Apgu to find the picture of poutine. I have a remarkable memory remember...

It took us over 45 minutes walking in complete circles and squares. After asking various coffee baristas where this fabled poutine was located, we finally found it--smack in the middle of those circles and squares we had been walking in.

Dave and I ordered 2 regulars--around 4,000 won each. I took my first bite and was perplexed. How could french fries, brown gravy, and cheese curds mix together. I wasn't the biggest fan. Perhaps I'm too conditioned on yellow cheese and meat as opposed to gravy and white cheese curds. It was OK. I actually enjoyed their french fries a lot more. They were freshly cooked and cut on spot. Dave on the other hand, loved it. John was on his way and Dave knew he would get another to share with his fellow maple leaf. John arrived 10 minutes later with no trouble of finding New York Fries. I may have a remarkable memory, but I'm truly amazed by people with a good sense of direction.

John ordered and a regular. Dave ordered a bigger size, but was in shock to find he ordered their largest. The owners snickered at him as did I. I went for the supreme-fries, cheddar cheese, sour cream, tomatoes, and bacon.

Dave's First Bite of Poutine

Dave's 2nd Helping/Stomach Ache

Poutine: French Fries + Brown Gravy + Cheese Curds
Although I wasn't taken by the Canadian staple and delight of poutine, I'm glad I got to enjoy it with Dave and John who savored every bite like they got a taste of home. Being away from home is bittersweet. It is exciting because it's all so new, yet homesickness hits often. I'm glad that Korea can provide simple tastes of home despite being so far away from home. New stop...Taco Bell. Apparently, they are on the army bases...

How long have I been here?