Sunday, October 10, 2010

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!


Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!
2nd Sunday in October


Homemade Poutine
Oporto Chips + Maggi Instant Gravy Packet + Mozzarella Ball

To celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving, I suggested to Dave that we make the most definitive dish of his culture: poutine. It is originally from Quebec and is usually made with hot fries, cheese curds and brown gravy. We didn't have the cheese curds, so we substituted it with mozzarella. Thankfully, everything else is readily available in Australia.

Having it only twice in my life, once in Korea and once in Kingston, Ontario, I can't say that I'm the biggest fan. I still prefer chili cheese fries. Dave, on the other hand, grew up with this heart attack inducing dish. The entire time we were preparing it (I just bought the chips - as they call it in Oz - at Oporto), he had the biggest grin on his face. The climax was when he poured the hot brown gravy sauce onto the fries and mozzarella. His grin just got bigger and his face just got hotter. This was the most excited I had ever seen him (as you can tell by the picture below).

Although we're far from home, I'm glad we can celebrate our traditions - even if it's just a tiny taste of home.


'This is the best poutine I've ever made.'
Dave Ready to Tuck into the Homemade Poutine

No comments:

How long have I been here?