Tuesday, January 27, 2015

That's a lot of eggs

30 Day Shred - Day 1

It's like D-Day. I've committed and it's time to attack. I spent nearly $200 on Week 1 groceries and my little fridge can't fit everything. I'm a little worried about things going bad because I haven't pre-cooked everything. I'm already noticing how much time it takes to prepare my meals, but I'm just going to have to tough it out this week until the weekend when I have more time. Poor Dave can already sense we don't hang out enough. After a long day at work, I'm off to the gym by 6:30pm and getting home around 8pm. Then I have to make my dinner, eat it and then prepare all my meals for the next day. Should have planned this out a little better.

Today's breakfast was not 1, but 5 eggs! Actually 1 whole egg and 4 egg whites. I've never eaten so many eggs. I have to admit I wasn't so hungry for breakfast because of my massive last meal of tofu pad khee mao. Nevertheless, the more I ate the eggs with cottage cheese, the more I liked it. It also kept me full until lunch time when I finally got to eat my apple and nuts. I consumed my lunch salad meant for lunch time more like snack time. Working a bank with back to back meetings, I find it hard to sit down and have a meal. Thankfully my meals are already prepared and often times don't need heating. So no snack today. The tomato soup recipe looked way too involved and after preparing all breakfast and lunch, I didn't have the energy to make the soup. I'll take the shred's advice and prepare the soup on the weekend enough for the entire month.

So with very little carbs in today's meals, I surprisingly felt OK. I anticipated headaches, but was perfectly fun...in fact feeling light and less bloated.

Off to the gym...

Although the program is entirely digital including the shopping lists, recipes, workout plans and tutorials, I wasn't going to show up at the gym with my IPAD to read over exercises in iBooks. Instead I printed today's meal and workout plans and took it to the gym.

Each day I'm supposed to do 'light cardio' but the last few days have been absolutely bucketing down rain. So I'm going to have to do cardio plus the weight training.

20 minutes on the elliptical and 1km at 10km/hour on the treadmill, I'm finally ready to go. Puffed but ready to go.

The night before I watched the tutorials on her YouTube channel so I would know exactly what to do when I got to the gym. Patting myself on the back because the names of the exercises are not intuitive at all.

My first set was squats with a bar, with plates...this was no longer child's play. I haven't done serious weights with a bar and plates since high school soccer. I was intimidated at first because guess where the apparatus was? Of course amongst all the buff dudes. Lucky me there was an extremely tan body builder next to me. Not sure I was inspired, but at least he was so focused on himself that I didn't need to worry about his potential judgement of my bar + 10kg plates on each side.

I switched to lunges and that's when the tremors hit. I got through all the exercises and felt amazing. One mood killer was when I got the courage to step on the scales. It was eye opening. But I had to do it. This was D-Day and it's important for me to measure my success. It's also motivation. Hopefully by Day 30, the dial will have gone down.

The workout was about 30 minutes, but on top off cardio, I was at the gym for over an hour. I got home at 8:30pm. I just want to watch Girls.

Dave was away at D&D (Dungeons & Dragons for you non-nerds) night so I had the apartment to myself. I cooked my dinner and was quite pleased with how filling it was. There were so many textures and flavours together made my hungry exhausted body nourished and satisfied. I even made an extra one for Dave so he could feel included.


Portobello Stack
Grilled quinoa, red onions, cherry tomatoes, spinach and cottage cheese on a portobello mushroom

So D-Day wasn't as bad as I thought. Pressed for time in the evening to cook, wash dishes and blog...this is going to be the tough part. Looking forward to arms and abs tomorrow! 

No comments:

How long have I been here?