Monday, January 26, 2015

Time for a change

It's a new year and I'm ready for a challenge. It's not just because I'm getting that new year's resolution itch...I've been floating along nicely for a while and it's time to shake things up.

Being a vegetarian since 1 Jan 2013, my food choices have drastically changed my body. I feel light, but I know I've lost muscle mass. My skin is a bit flabby especially in that anti-gravity defying upper arm and inner thigh area.

I also stopped playing outdoor soccer and running long distance. Don't get me wrong. I ran a half-marathon in May 2014 and the gruelling City2Surf in August 2014. I tend to train hard for these races and once they're over, so is the training. I didn't play competitive outdoor soccer last year but I replaced it with 2x week indoor soccer and 90 minute vinyasa yoga every Sunday. I've also picked up beach volleyball courtesy of Dave's Ultimate Beach Volleyball Training. Thank goodness for Dave's patience and kindness to teach my girlfriends and I the basics for free!

So my challenge...

This month, I'm taking on Emily Skye's 30 Day Shred. The program was recommennnded to me by one of my beach volleyball mate's who's getting ready for her wedding. I'm not getting ready for a wedding, but I view this as a kick-start back into healthy living. There are a lot of programs out there, but the main reason I chose this program is because there are full meal plans and shopping lists, workouts and supportive videos and Facebook community to keep you motivated. It's all planned out and all I have to do is find the time to do it. I foresee a lot of time consumed by cooking.


That's $200 of groceries for Week 1
(minus the helmet)

Another part of the challenge is there's no drinking. February is a good month for me to stay off the grog, but I won't lie...there will be some cheat days. Mine and Dave's 6th anniversary is on the 10th followed by a girl's night out on the 13th to see Fifty Shades of Grey in Gold Class and there's of course Valentine's Day. I also have a big soccer weekend away at the start of March followed by a lot of birthday parties and big 3 week holiday to Sri Lanka and Fiji. Sounds like a lot of excuses or perfect timing, but I'm going to try my hardest to keep on track and minimise the indulgences.

The final challenge is to write a blog for everyday I'm on the 30 day shred. So here goes my first post on the challenge and my last meal of delicious Pad Khee Mao with tofu.


Best Thai for value in Randwick - Blue Monkey
Loving the Australian Open

No comments:

How long have I been here?