Tuesday, February 24, 2015

A foodie love affair

30 Day Shred - Day 29

I can't believe I've made it to Day 29...just one day left on Emily Skye's 30 Day Shred.

This week is a great week to end the shred, but the closer Day 30 gets, the harder it is to keep to the meal plans. Knowing this week was my last week, a few celebrations have been put into the calendar like a big Melbourne trip this weekend to see the Foo Fighters.


One thing I didn't plan on coinciding with the end of the shred was the ballet. For Christmas, Dave got us two tickets to see the Australian Ballet perform Graeme Murphy's Swan Lake at Capitol Theatre in Chinatown.

But first we had to have dinner in Chinatown. I've been so good these past four weeks so one little cheat dinner shouldn't hurt right? Dave wanted laksa from one of the best laksa houses in Sydney - Happy Chef. It looks like any other food court stand, but it's quite known...everyone at my work swears it's the best laksa they've had in Sydney. I don't like laksa because it's too oily with tough noodles. I opted for soft and spicy char kway teow Malaysian noodles. I couldn't finish it all, but it was delicious to eat stir fried seafood and noodles.


Day 29 cheat dinner - Malaysian char kway teow


Waiting for the curtains to open for Swan Lake

I haven't seen the ballet in Australia. The last time I saw the ballet was in NYC when I went to uni there back in 2004-2008. Dave had never seen the ballet, so this was a first for us...at least in Australia. The show was absolutely beautiful. There are a few renditions of the classic story, but this one was created in the 90s and surprisingly based around the love triangle between Princess Diana, Prince Charles and Camilla Bowles. In some shows, the swan dies, the swan lives, the prince dies, the prince lives. This one was quite sad because they both died. It was a moving story and especially sad when she was in a insane asylum helpless and alone while her prince and the evil baroness are living the life she should have had. Then it was empowering when she showed up at the baroness' party while a new lease on life and confidence where the prince couldn't take his eyes away from her. In Dave's words, "The real moral to the story is that you shouldn't have two women at once." The romantic in me believes that you should be pure of heart and be committed to who you love...so don't cheat!

I've cheated on this shred, but I knew I would never follow it the letter. It has taught me a lot about discipline and new ways to eat while keeping satisfied. Tonight it wasn't about being on the shred. Dave and I enjoyed a fun date night with a satisfying Chinatown meal, beautiful ballet and love story.

No comments:

How long have I been here?