Saturday, February 7, 2015

A special hens party

30 Day Shred - Day 12

This was no typical Saturday. Usually I wake up at 8am because I'm hungover or hungry. I split a 3 egg omelet filled with spinach, tomatoes, olives, mushrooms and cheddar cheese plus white rice with Dave. It doesn't sound too unhealthy right? But I haven't told you about all the butter it's cooked in and the hot sauce it's doused in. This brings on a food coma that relaxes my brain synapses thinking my body is tired again while my stomach gurgles to try to digest the rich meal. My eyes roll back and the lethargy sets in to accommodate for all the oils penetrating my body. So I fall back asleep until noon. I wake up annoyed that I've wasted the morning, yet I have no regrets about eating my favourite Saturday brunch.

Since I've been on the 30 Day Shred, I haven't had the luxury of indulging in my typical Saturday breakfast. Instead I wake up ravenous for my usual four egg white and one whole egg omelet sans rice. I have energy to get up and get out. But I get in this cycle of housework - load the laundry, do the dishes, clean up the house, prepare lunches and hang the laundry. By the time I'm done with the chores, I'm ready to go out, but only have half an hour before I have to go out again.

I made grand plans this morning to get all of the above done and dusted, plus do my shred workout for the day. Instead Dave and I had a nice stroll along the beach promenade. So much more worth it because I knew I wouldn't see him for the rest of the day. 

By 12:30pm, I took off to two beaches over at Bronte Beach where my friend was having her hen's party aka bachelorette party. Sounds weird to have it during the day right? This was no typical hen's party. My friend is a very spiritual person. Instead of having a booze filled hummer ride through Kings Cross, she wanted to bring all her girlfriends together for a peaceful yoga session in the park. In fact her celebrant was running our yoga giving it much more meaning for her. We sat in a circle and practiced Kundalini Yoga. It uses constant movements to drive and create energy and awareness. 

We opened the circle by passing around a branch and stating a sentence or two about the impact our friend has on our lives and why we love her so much. I was very honoured to be a part of such a strong and passionate group of women. I had only met her a few months ago when Dave started playing beach and indoor volleyball with her now fiance. We both wanted to join in on the fun and so the boys started giving us lessons.

We closed the circle by passing around her grandmother's antique crystal heart shaped box she would be using in her ceremony. We said one word that we hoped for the new couple in their new journey together. It was a powerful moment. Tears ran down our friend's cheeks the entire time. She was overwhelmed by the love in the circle. It was a perfect hen's party. It was a beautiful day with the sun shining and a slight breeze. We were nestled in a gully behind Bronte Park on a plateau encircling each other with love and joy for our friend.



The ladies stayed, but I had to dash. I was bummed because I missed a specially catered lunch. But when you have responsibilities you have to see them through right? My friend understood.

I went to Bondi Junction Fitness First - The Edge. I usually go to the Randwick gym, but I needed to be in Bondi Junction for some secret shopping. On Tuesday it's mine and Dave's 6th anniversary so I needed to get one of his presents, but I'll tell you more about that on Tuesday. I still had to do my shred workout for today and tomorrow. It was going to be high 30s tomorrow and there was no way I was spending that time inside a gym.

Do you know who you find at the gym at 3pm on a gorgeous sunny Saturday afternoon? A bunch of guys. I was the only woman in there for at least an hour. It was empowering though. It was like I had the gym to myself because the guys were definitely too focussed on their muscles to notice me thank god!

I did not one but two shred workouts. At first it felt daunting. The reps and sets felt endless. I walked in with my training log and pen. After each set, I'd mark it off in my training log and it was bam! it was done.

I went shopping and found not only his present but a dress for the occasion. I still hadn't eaten since 10am and was fading fast. I again was out of time because I had spent so much time shopping, but had managed to drink a green Top Juice smoothie. 

My friend's day ended with an engagement party. It was an early dinner back at Ex Lounge in Bronte Beach. Since it was a 6:30 pm dinner, I thought I'd be OK with the lack of meals I've had today. Unfortunately for me the server forgot my order. Angry Shady was coming out. It was very hard to hide especially in front of all the lovely chatty women I met today. By 9pm my salmon and veg was laid in front of me. I devoured it. You couldn't hear anything coming from my side of the table except chewing and plate scraping. I was so hungry I didn't take a usual #instafoodie photo. I did take a photo of my antipasto. It was absolutely delicious... or was it because I was so hungry? The restaurant were so accommodating for me and even gave me a vegetarian version.


Vegetarian antipasto board

The plan for the rest of the night was to take her and her partner on separate hen's and buck's nights. I was supposed to go but I was crashing fast. I had pushed my body to exercise a lot plus run around to finish all those errands. I wasn't drinking either. My friend understood and respected my decision to go home. I went home and watched an episode of Scandal and slept hard.

Days like today make me so happy not only for my relationship with Dave, but also for the friends I've made. This particular friend was the one who introduced me to Emily Skye's 30 Day Shred. She knew my motivations and understood my need to be 'good'. I can't wait to take on the day tomorrow...no sleeping in either because it's all about getting up and getting out to embrace the day!

No comments:

How long have I been here?