Wednesday, February 4, 2015

A sweet finish

30 Day Shred - Day 9

Today I didn't leave my workout until the end of the day. I convinced my colleagues to do it with me at the park during lunch time. Every Wednesday, the developers in my project run a boot camp for anyone to join. It's very inspiring to see some of the hardest working guys leave their desk at lunch time each week and go for a 20 minute run to Pirama Park in Pyrmont. After a series of exercises, they run back to the office.

I joined them two weeks ago and it's been a lot of fun. I sometimes inject some of my own exercises and they're all open to doing them. The stairs, dips and plank were not a favourite.

Today's shred workout was a circuit:

  • 10 burpees
  • 12 wide squats
  • 12 regular squats
  • 20 ankle taps
  • 20 roman twists
Six times!

It doesn't seem like too many but doing six rounds was exhausting. The 30 Day Shred ordered them nicely because after doing burpees, the following exercises allowed you to catch your breath.

One new exercises I learned today was the team crunch (not part of the 30 Day Shred). The four of us sat in a row and linked arms. We crunched up and down pushing each other. We only did 10 reps and it was surprisingly hard to keep in sync. We did three sets. After each set, we'd change positions. It actually makes a difference if you're sitting on the inside versus the outside. I found myself yelling, "two more!" to keep up the energy and motivation. It makes a big difference when everyone is pushing towards the same goal and we're all grunting, sweating and yelling at each other to push push push. This was real team bonding.

This was the first night in a long time that I got to go home and not think about my daily shred workout because I had already done it! I made a quick omelet and brown rice dinner for Dave and I (doused in hot sauce - I'm sorry I'm not sorry). We put on American Sniper and enjoyed a movie night without me looking up recipes or workout videos.

The movie was excellent. It really put you in the character's shoes and identify with his struggles of killing 'the enemy' and coping with being home despite the PTSD. I highly recommend it - plus it's directed by Clint Eastwood. Four stars.

"Do you want yogurt?" Dave jumped at the chance. He knows I'm not eating chocolate or any other sweets, so he isn't really eating them either. The 30 Day Shred made me buy the yogurt to add to pumpkin soup. I don't have time or the appetite to eat an afternoon soup, so that yogurt has been in the fridge for over a week. Dave prepared two bowls and drizzled honey all over them. I was instructed to buy honey, but none of the recipes call for it. So now that I have it, I'll eat it.

This was the first unnatural sweet thing I've had during this journey. I don't know if I should feel guilty because it's sweet or should I not because it's part of the shopping list?

Either way, it tasted amazing. With Dave at my side snuggling together for movie night, hump day ended nicely with a sweet finish.



Vanilla yogurt with honey

No comments:

How long have I been here?