Sunday, February 1, 2015

Weekend Warrior

30 Day Shred - Day 6


My Sunday morning haven
Tamarama Beach

Last night I didn't get home too late from the game. So when my alarm sounded at 8am, I didn't feel tired. I was well rested, but I definitely would have slept an extra hour if I had a free morning.

I'm glad I planned beach volleyball training this early. It forces me to get out of bed, out of the house and be active. This time, we decided to train in Tamara where one of our mates lives (plus she has a net!). On Sunday mornings, you aren't allowed to set up a net in Coogee because of Little Nippers training. For my readers outside of Australia, that's beach swimming training for kids. It's like they're training them young to become surf life savers. I'm pretty envious because I was busy eating hot dogs and ramen at that age.

Setting up a new net, it took us over half an hour to set up. But once we did, Dave went through drills, serves and finally a game. After nearly two hours of training I was wiped out. I hadn't had anything eat and I was surprisingly craving my daily four egg white plus 1 whole egg omelet. Too hungry to wait till we got home and too tired to cook (don't even talk to me about dishes), I decided we'd go out for breakfast. I directed us towards About Life in Bondi Junction. They are known as a health food store, but they have an excellent cafe attached. I was power walking there when I noticed Paleo Cafe. Having eaten the 30 Day Shred's meal plans for a week now, I can safely say my diet is nearly paleo. Gluten free, sugar free, preservative free. The franchise was impressive. It had a lot of great reading material on the benefits of paleo. It also sold a lot of health food items like coconut oil, protein powder and even gluten free pizza bases. If you were pressed for time, you could pick up pre-made meals in their fridge. I had never eaten paleo at a restaurant before. Their breakfast menu had all the typical brunch items, but were paleo friendly. I had to order the one vegetarian dish that would normally be an indulgence and in no way thought of as paleo friendly - Eggs Benedict. I have no idea what was in the hollandaise sauce because butter is not paleo. The 'savoury paleo bread' tasted delicious. Again, I have no idea what's in it. I gave myself a break from the 30 Day Shred meal plan for brunch, but didn't feel guilty about it. It was all paleo, right in line with what I've been eating for the last six days.


Eggs Benedict at Paleo Cafe, Bondi Junction

Dave and I went to Kmart to pick up $8 sunglasses for beach volleyball - it's brutal out there in the Australian sunshine! By the time I got home at 12:30pm, I was wiped out. I had already been out for over four hours and I still had a 90 minute yoga session at 3:30pm. I laid on my couch watching TV shows, but not actually absorbing the storyline. I was exhausted and wanted to stare blankly at the screen. I dozed off for a quick 15 minute power nap and when I woke up I was refreshed again. I try hard to never miss a Sunday arvo yoga session. It's my way of resetting for the week. I work out the knots from the week prior's tension and stress and expand my body so I can take on the pressures of the week coming.

Third workout of the day...

After beach volleyball and yoga, you'd think this was a shred rest day...but it wasn't. I still had to do my shred workout. Thankfully it was all stationary requiring only myself. It was a lot of squats and lunges. I was recovered from Day 1's leg machine's workout so was ready  to do more legs. It took me only 25 minutes to complete. I ended my session with a weigh in. Drum roll...I'm down 1.5kgs! I know that it's not all about weight loss (more of inches loss), but I was stoked. This is real and all my hard work is paying off. If I can cut down 5kgs in 30 days, that'll be a win for me.

What would also be a win is if I didn't have to cook and clean all the time. Emily Skye should really look into a meal preparation service.

No comments:

How long have I been here?