Sunday, February 22, 2015

Being real

30 Day Shred - Day 27

After a big few days where I left my meal plans slip a little, it was time to get back on track.

I started my day with my usual four egg white plus one whole egg omelet with spinach and cottage cheese. Today was game day. My soccer match was scheduled for 12pm. I woke up at 8:45am and made my breakfast right away. I knew if I ate any later, it would be harder and harder to digest. Today wasn't an issue. Because I wasn't eating carbs or anything acidic, I was fine when I started running.


The usual 30 Day Shred breakfast
4 egg whites + 1 whole egg + spinach + cottage cheese

It was a scorching hot day. Although cloudy, I definitely got a bit of a burn on my face. Thank goodness our opposition wanted to play 20 minute quarters instead of 40 minute halves.

I usually go to yoga at 3pm every Sunday, but after playing in the heat, all I wanted to do was jump into the ocean.

I made a carrot, apple, cucumber and mint juice and headed to the beach.

The water was a bit cold. A shot of the shivers went through my body when I entered the water, but after a few splashes, I wasn't cold anymore. It gave my sore, tired and burned body the relief it needed. I ended up laying out for three hours mixing in some girl talk time on the beach towel with some beach volleyball bumps with Dave and his friends.

I had an excellent Sunday with a touch of soccer and beach time. All I wanted to do was relax at home now. But I couldn't. I had left Dave to play soccer and he promised to clean and pick up the groceries while I was gone. He had not cleaned the house at all. When I got home from soccer he was at the store, which made me think he was there knowing I was coming home and would be furious to see the house wasn't cleaned. Normally I would brush off cleaning duties for another weekend, but next weekend we were having guests stay over. This was unacceptable. I had spent much of my Saturday picking up items for our house and cleaning. Every weekend I pick up the groceries and plan out our weekly meals. I was furious now.

I begrudgingly made dinner. I didn't care what he wanted to eat. I didn't care if he came home. I was so angry. When he did come home, he knew my frustration and anger was at boiling point. He started cleaning immediately as if to avoid the scolding a mother would give. When we finally sat down, he apologised. It was good of him to apologise, but I had to get my frustrations out.

"I always cook. I always do the shopping. I left today feeling good about the pact we'd made that you'd clean. I spent my free day yesterday picking up stuff for the apartment. You had your free day yesterday at your volleyball tournament. I'm not your mother."

"That's why now I'm apologising. I'm going to spend the rest of the night cleaning."

Again I felt like I was being treated like a mother.

We sat in silence while we ate. I nearly chewed the inside of my cheek I was so angry.

I let it go. He cleaned as he promised he would and I relaxed as I had planned to. It didn't make me feel good that he was cleaning while I wasn't, but it was his turn. 


My favourite 30 Day Shred Salad
Sweet potato, broccoli, beans, spinach, tomatoes, garlic and olive oil.


Gluten free / paleo / vegan almond cookies

To work out my frustrations, I baked. I found an amazing recipe online by googling "gluten free paleo cookies"...even better they were vegan! Thank you @TexanErin for such an easy and healthy recipe that satisfies my sweet tooth. It only takes 15 minutes including bake time!

Today was a real test to my dedication to the 30 Day Shred and my relationship. I have to be real with myself. If I want something to happen, I have to stick to my challenge or speak up when I see something is wrong. I've forgiven Dave, but he knows he's definitely in the dog house. I'm only days away from the 30 Day mark. After the 30 Day Shred, I know I have to forgive those cheat days, but I have to be realistic and understand sometimes I'll slip. Sometimes our close family and friends slip. And it's okay.

No comments:

How long have I been here?