Saturday, February 14, 2015

The way to a man's heart

30 Day Shred - Day 19

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

Not many people I've spoken to are celebrating this holiday of love or Hallmark cards. Even with our big six year anniversary on Tuesday, Dave and I still enjoy this day if not to just to do nice things for each other and give extra kisses.

I had a plan today. I was going to cook Dave an unforgettable breakfast. He had cleaned the apartment and bought me two plants yesterday. Today, I wanted him to relax in bed while I cooked with love.

I had the bacon. I had the eggs. I had the fruit for juice. What I didn't have was a heart shaped cookie cutter. I made stars instead. The only problem now was that I only had one.

Lay the cookie cutter down on the hot pan. Spray oil. Pour batter. Flip. Cut off excess (you get much better after 20 stars).


My way to my man's heart.
Bacon, eggs and star shaped Bisquick pancakes.


Pancake stars in a maple syrup hot tub.

I was pretty chuffed with myself. The pancake stars turned out great. I also timed everything right so the bacon and eggs were still hot when he sat down for his first bite.


Dave's new beach volleyball shorts.

He was ready to take on a beautiful sunny Saturday with his new swim/beach volleyball trunks. The last pair I bought him ripped at the seams when he lunged forward when reaching for a ball. These are Speedo. The same brand as his usual blue pair. Plus they're more lightweight - hopefully no more crotch rips!

While Dave played volleyball, I baked in the sun taking in that gorgeous Vitamin D - not without sun screen though! The Australian sun is harsh people - slip, slop slap!

At 4pm, I met my friend at Fitness First in Randwick. I had a mission: two 30 Day Shred workouts in one session. I needed to catch up and I wasn't going to the gym tomorrow with my first soccer trial match in the morning and yoga in the afternoon.

We did every dumb bell lift imaginable. From upright rows to cable curls, we did four sets of 15 for eight exercises...plus three sets of 30 ab exercises. My friend is a regular lifter, so when she recommended certain weights, I went with it. Was I pushing myself or trying to show off? Either way, we weren't lifting my usual 3kg dumb bells. I know I'm going to pay for my vanity tomorrow. At least I'll sleep well tonight.

I ended my Valentine's Day with Sushi Train dinner in Bondi Junction with her. Damn them of not having brown rice! I ate salmon, tuna and king fish sashimi, edamame and four vegetable gyozas. This was a very different order than my usual cooked tuna avocado (you know with all that mayo), fried prawn nigiri and all that white rice. As soon as I looked at the menu I was disheartened. But I ate my meal and was not only satisfied, but very full.

We caught up on life, love and what it takes to be happy. Even if you don't have a Valentine, it's important to reach out to your friends and loved ones and let them know you're thinking about them.

I ended my evening watching a rerun of the Grammys and eating popcorn with Dave. We were both very hungry from our light sushi train dinners. Hand in bucket to hand in mouth - we were in sync. I got the hiccups right after...I must have not been breathing with those handfuls of popcorn. It's not part of the 30 Day Shred, but it's just air right?

Big day tomorrow - my first outdoor soccer match in a year. Hopefully my arms aren't too sore!

No comments:

How long have I been here?