Thursday, February 12, 2015

And breathe...

30 Day Shred - Day 17

I felt a little guilty today for not having worked out on Tuesday and Wednesday. Sacrifices had to be made. Tuesday was my six year anniversary and Wednesday was full day and evening in the office to prepare of my big presentation today. I had a lot of jitters, which curbed my appetite. I managed to get my four egg white plus one whole egg omelet down in the morning, plus a handful of walnuts and salad. Do you see a trend here? I'm not actually following Emily Skye's 30 Day Shred meal plan because it just takes too long to prepare so many different types of meal. Instead I'm preparing the same meals over and over, which does get boring. But food now is not something I crave, but something I need to replenish my body. And I like the food. I know with every bite of spinach and egg white, my muscles are repairing themselves and getting stronger. With every bite of squash or pumpkin, I know my fat stores are breaking down instead of filling up from rice and bread.

By 3pm, the nervousness had gone. My had to present in 30 minutes and there was nothing I could do about it. I had rehearsed and repeated the mantra, "just have fun with it" over and over in my mind.

I arrived early to set up. I was ready by 3:25pm. By 3:30pm, no one was there. It was very odd. By 3:40pm, someone motioned me over to the table well behind us. Ten people were waiting for us! I quickly reset up trying to keep my cool with a smile on my face. As always, technology was not my friend. The smart board wouldn't sync up with my lap top, so I had to get my colleague to connect. Then I had to send the presentations to her. I kept my cool. I opened with a question to the group, "What's the most important thing you do in your job?" The forum was now open for debate. This was good. They could discuss while my colleague set up the presentation. The PowerPoint was up and we were finally in a rhythm. I showed them the models and they played a game and had a great time. I keep them engaged for nearly an hour! There were some participants who had to reluctantly leave half way through, but really wanted to stay and keep learning and playing. This is all I could ask for. I not only taught something new to a group of people, but kept them engaged!

And breath...

I'm so glad that was over. It's good for me to jump out of my skin sometimes and do something different...unexpected...even scary.

I ended my day with soccer training. I needed to release that pent up energy. I needed to kick a ball, make some plays and score. And I did that.

I keep coming back to soccer training, but I haven't committed just yet. Perhaps it's time to play again. The events happening at work and in soccer are so closely related. Last year I took an easier job because I had worked so hard the year before. Last year I also stopped playing soccer. Now I'm challenging myself at work and I'm challenging myself at soccer training.

When I got home I knew i had to do my 30 Day Shred work out. It had been two days...going on three. So as much as I wanted to take a shower and lay around, I didn't. I picked up those dumb bells and did my workout and I'm so glad I did.

No comments:

How long have I been here?