Thursday, February 19, 2015

Gong Xi Fa Cai

30 Day Shred - Day 24


Fortune cookie from work

I had every intention of waking up early this morning and go for a run. I did it again. I slept past midnight. During this 30 Day Shred, I'm finding myself sleeping later and later. I blame the workouts. I have to do something nearly every day and as a full time working girl, I only find time after work. By the time I'm done with my workout, I'm too amped to sleep.

So I snoozed from 7:15am to 7:45am.

Walking into work, I saw some people giving something away. I got closer and was handed a fortune cookie by my work. It was such a nice gesture and reminded me that today is the start of the Lunar New Year. Gong Xi Fa Cai! Kung  hay fat choy as I'm taught to pronounce it. I work in such a multicultural office and it was so nice to have different nationalities greet me with a Happy New Year. Remember it's not only Chinese, but other countries celebrate too including Korea (Solal) and Vietnam (Tet).

I was actually reminded yesterday when one of my former students wrote me an email. It was so out of the blue. I haven't heard from her in years. As I read her email, I could picture her with her bubbly personality. She was in middle school when I taught her and now she's at a prestigious foreign language school learning German! Another reason why I slept so late last night was because I was flicking through old blog posts when I was a teacher in Korea. This one particularly touched my heart. After all this time, I found myself still sobbing at the post about a student who didn't study and cried in my arms. I sent it to my Korean colleague because she's currently putting her kids into more activities but is being very careful she doesn't burn out her kids.

At lunch time, we went to Harbourside Mall in Darling Harbour to have a leaving lunch for one of our colleagues. On our way out, a dragon dance performance was happening right outside our building. It's pretty cool to see something like this - not an every day thing. Hopefully more performances happen...it doesn't hurt we're located near Chinatown.


I cheated for the first time at work. I went out to eat for the first time on the 30 Day Shred. I also couldn't find anything 30 Day Shred friendly at the Vietnamese restaurant, so I went with the closest thing - stir fried seafood with tomato rice. I may have went a little overboard with the lemongrass chili condiment and soy sauce, but I didn't mind. It's been 24 days and it's Lunar New Year! Time to feast and be merry!

I ended my day with soccer training. I didn't get to do my daily shred workout, but getting in a game of soccer was a good release of pressure and tension from the week. I got hit in the face with the ball, but I shook it off. It's been a big week full of knocks but also some real wins. This weekend is going to be a big weekend of catching up with my workouts. I'll do one during lunch tomorrow and do a double on Saturday. But for now, I've got a big Friday night to look forward to...a date with my girlfriends to see Fifty Shades of Grey!

No comments:

How long have I been here?