Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Guilty pleasure

30 Day Shred - Day 23

If I didn't have the case of the Mondays, I am definitely having a hard time getting over hump day.

I was not in one two hour workshop today, but two. By the end of the first one, I my energy levels were rock bottom. I could have stayed during my lunch break and caught up on work, but I decided to get out of my funk by going to the gym. By the time I got to the gym, I only had 30 minutes. So I ran a quick kilometre and hit the weights.

It's awkward when you use the weights for the first time in a gym. I usually go to this gym for Body Attack or Body Pump classes. Now that I've been on the 30 Day Shred, I go to the gym mainly to pump weights.

Today I had to do legs. I went up to the apparatus for squats. The bar looked a little too tall for me, but I tried it anyways. I had to tip toe and jump a little to get the bar down, but I did my set.

I put up the bar and took off the weights to adjust the bar height. A buff man sneaked up behind me and started unpacking the bar for me.

"I saw you struggle a bit there. Let me help you out."

It was really nice of him to come over and help me especially when I had no idea how to adjust the bar height. The feminist in me kind of wishes I had figured it out myself, but it was a nice gesture. It doesn't hurt he was cute either.

I only had time to do half of the exercises. I hate not finishing what I've started, but I had meetings to get back to at work. I'm glad I printed out my workout log, so I can see where I'm up to or what's left from today's workout that I could pick up another day.

After my second two hour workshop, I felt like my face was falling off. I left at 7pm not because I was doing work, but having a good catch up with one of my work coaches. A lot is going on especially in head about how I'm shaping my career. I'm glad I have a coach at work, but I wish I had a coach on this 30 Day Shred.

When I got home, I had one thing on my mind...fried calamari.

It's my favourite food. I joke/not joke about having a calamari wedding cake someday.

I had such an intense day and all I wanted was fried goodness.


Fried calamari - my favourite food


Simple Mexi Bowl

While I made my favourite 30 Day Shred meal - the Simple Mexi Bowl, Dave fried up the calamari. In previous versions, I used butter beans. This time I used black beans and followed the recipe on the can exactly. Add some red onions, garlic, oregano, vinegar and oil and it takes just like Tex Mex black beans.

The combination of mixed salad, tomatoes, brown rice, black beans, avocado, cottage cheese, coriander and hot sauce is amazing! It tastes like healthy Mexican food. It sounds like an oxymoron but it tastes so clean yet has that Mexican flavour spin.

After eating my guilty pleasure - fried calamari, I wasn't feeling too great. The oils weighed heavy in my belly. I didn't need to eat them and you know what's the devastating part...it didn't even taste that good. What tasted good was my simple maxi bowl. And catching up on Girls.

No comments:

How long have I been here?