Sunday, February 8, 2015

Run, swim, yoga

30 Day Shred - Day 13

I woke up with renewed energy this morning. I did a double shred work out yesterday, so today was my rest day.

I didn't rest though.

Two of my friends came over for a 5km run around Coogee. Ever since I started the 30 Day Shred, I haven't done my usual run. I'm so busy trying to keep up with the workouts, soccer and gym time that I've just combined treadmill and step machines for my light cardio. Running is a different experience. It pushes your body harder than a treadmill ever would.

I was nervous to lead the run. But I kept telling myself, my friends chose to run with me. My run, my pace.

We ended at Coogee Beach. One friend jumped into the ocean. I didn't have dri-fit gear on but I dipped my legs in. The water was refreshing. I looked forward to jumping in later.

We met another girlfriend at Oneness Cafe in Coogee. They're known for their clean cooking and many vegan and glutenfree options. I chose the quinoa and haloumi cakes with a poached egg on a bed of spinach. It's right in line with the 30 Day Shred meals...not too sure about the haloumi, but it tasted amazing. I'll never say no to my favourite cheese! I did feel a little guilty about eating the gluten free soy and linseed toast, but hey it's gluten free.


Quinoa and haloumi cakes

My friend wanted to meet up not only to catch up but to talk about the 30 Day Shred. I convinced her to buy the program too. She just hadn't started it because she had a hectic last few weeks of her job. She's now finished and ready to take on the challenge. It was so good to talk through my experience - even if it's been two weeks. I told her I'd be her sponsor to help her get through even when she felt like quitting. I don't have a sponsor, but writing these blog posts keeps me accountable. Sometimes it's not enough to just have will power.

After breakfast, our third friend left us leaving just me and the first running buddy. I put on my new bikini I bought last weekend. It felt good to see less love handles and a slimming pear shape around my hips. We jumped in and out of the water because it was so hot. We had to leave by 2:30pm for yoga but managed to squeeze in a 20 minute snorkel. I couldn't believe how much wildlife we saw. There were many tropical fish, schools of the needle nosed fish and the bluest groper I'd ever seen! Coogee isn't known for it's snorkeling but today it was teeming with wildlife!

At 3pm, were were laying on our mats. A headache was starting to come on. Was it my dehydration from running this morning? I definitely drank at least a bottle of water during brunch. Was it all the go go go today? Perhaps it was because I was starting ahem that time of the month?

I was trying my hardest to get through the vinyasa flows. I was so close to packing up and leaving in the middle of class, but I knew deep down inside that I'd feel better if I finished the 90 minute class. What I really wanted was to jump back into that ocean. If I did that my headache would be gone.

I did just that. I put on that wet bikini from earlier and went back into the ocean. It was refreshing and gave me renewed energy. I fell off the program on Friday and then didn't eat enough on Saturday. Tonight, I was going to replenish my body, mind and soul with a nutritious meal from the 30 Day Shred cookbook.


Portobello Stack
Mushrooms with quinoa, onion, red capsicum, spinach and cottage cheese

No comments:

How long have I been here?